Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Cuff is done

 * I completed 64 rounds of the pattern (16 repeats; it's a four-row pattern) and I think that's long enough; next I'll do the heel flap. These are 66 stitch socks so to do a 32 stitch heel I'll have to decrease one (there's no "extra stitch on the instep to balance the pattern" here - it takes 11 stitches for the entire pattern)


* The stretching I did last afternoon seemed to help, so I guess now most of the problem is a combination of (a) the bones probably haven't totally healed yet (the pain feels like it's within the bone) and some of the medical information I've looked at say these can take six months or more to fully heal. It IS better, and better than it was even two weeks ago, but it's not totally better) and (b) the muscles have gotten weak and I need to build them back up

I can do that with stretching and walking. I don't know how much I'll be able to walk tomorrow; the good indoor spaces are currently closed for spring break and it's supposed to rain hard all day. But I do need to start walking more in hopes of strengthening it enough I can eventually ditch the cane altogether. Right now I mostly don't use it in the house but outside I at least carry it for stability. And in public I use it, both because there are LOTS of hard surfaces to walk on, and people are much more tolerant of you walking slowly if you have a cane - indicating you have some kind of injury or disability.

* I did walk some today. I went to Sherman and to the Michael's and JoAnn's.

I realized the Michael's here is a lot smaller than many I've been in - the one up near my mom is larger and has more stuff. Their yarn department, especially, is fairly small and is mostly their own house brands (it seems JoAnn's does this too). 

I did buy a Japanese knitting-stitch library; it has patterns I don't have in other books.

And at JoAnn's - well, I can see now that they're in Chapter 11. A lot of the shelves are empty, a lot of the stuff is the same stuff I have seen there for a year or more. They didn't seem to have much Easter decorating stuff - even though Easter is in just over a week now. Also a lot of things are reduced. 

I'm hoping that despite the chirpy "we're not going to close stores" quoted in some news articles that they're NOT going to pull a Border's Books and sell everything off fast and then close, but I would not be surprised. 

I bought some discounted quilt fabric - a big piece of a celestial print for a someday quilt backing (on the grounds that "fabric will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no fabric" to paraphrase an old saying). And also an amigurumi kit:

Wednesday Addams, though they note it's an "unofficial" kit (so they don't have her full name on there). I've never seen the newer show made that's on Netflix or somewhere; I mostly associate her with the 60s tv show (which was on in re runs when I was a tween) or the 90s (? I think) era movies. At any rate it's a cute doll and I got a discount on it with a coupon. And I was wanting to do some kind of small "critter or doll" project soon. 

I also got to Kroger's for the first time in a couple months; they sell a few items I can't get locally and it was just a different place to be in. I didn't buy as much as I might because I was keeping a mind towards "you are going to have to carry this all back from your car when you get home, and you can tell your legs are already tired" but at least I got more golden syrup to use to sweeten my tea (I prefer that to sugar or honey) and I got some of the little brown rolls (a Cheesecake Factory product) that I like. 

* Tomorrow I am going to see if I can get in to get the oil changed but I also need to do some research reading.


No comments: