Monday, August 15, 2022

one more day

 So there was a giant mix up on the expectations about who did what and got paid how much, and so the floor repair was delayed (I really thought the guy was going to start Friday). It's been straightened out now, and I agreed to pay a little extra because supplies (sigh) but I also got a small loan from my mom to help cover that, so I can now pay the guy off in full - but at this point I am waiting until the floor is done AND the demolition dumpster has left my drive, that will be the evidence that the work's fully over.

The word I get is that the guy will come tomorrow to work on the floor, so I've got today. I came in and made the last minute changes (because there are ALWAYS last minute changes to make) to the syllabi and made a chart of my classes and office hours to post on my door (they ask us to do this, I presume so students can find us, but also: having people be upset because "I came to find you and you weren't in" is never cool, and I've had my share of students who literally thought their class was the only class I taught. I teach four, and I have resolved to be more up front about that, after having a student e-mail me asking me "hey do we have to buy the textbook" - I e-mailed them back "please tell me which class; I teach four." Yes, I probably could have gone through the class lists online and found out which class myself, but maybe I shouldn't have to? 

Sometimes I think my stereotypically Gen-X tendency to go "okay I will find it out myself" means I make more work for myself, and people think that I'm either really good at stuff, or the stuff I do is *easy,* or that I don't mind doing it - and maybe I need to put my foot down a little about that, be a little less accommodating. 

***

I didn't do a lot over the weekend. I started sewing down the binding on one quilt but that's a slow process and I'm annoyed that the quilt shop in Whitesboro recommended such short hand-sewing needles (well, really short ones were all they had; I suppose that was the preference of the person doing the purchasing for the shop). I also made and did the machine-sewing part of a binding on another quilt. And I sorted more stuff and got more junk gone. And I washed all the accumulated fabric I hadn't pre-washed, and then ironed it off. I now have to decide whether to do a jelly roll quilt with an Aneela Hoey series of prints that I found (forgot I had) and that had sort of "collapsed" after being stored under stuff - so it's not all neat for storage any more, and I feel like I should use it. And I have the white fabric needed for the background on the pattern I want to use.

But I also want to make the quilt using the fat quarters I got on an early-summer trip to Quilt Asylum, mostly from the Midnight in the Garden line but with a couple others added in - and again, I have all the fabric I need for it.

Yes, I do still plan to paint the room, but that's not for a couple weeks (my plan is to do it over Labor Day long weekend) and I could always just box up the partially done quilts and shove them into my bedroom while I paint. 


I do have one more finished quilt that I need to make a binding for, and this is going to be a pieced binding, so it will take a bit more effort - I should probably do that NEXT before starting to cut for a quilt.


And yes, of course, some day I have to figure out how to get all the stuff back from the storage unit and where to store it at home. I do think a LOT of the fabric is going to wind up being donated, or, if I have a couple large pieces, I might send photos to a couple quilting friends with a "you want this?" and mail out a few things (even though it's expensive to send stuff now). Maybe the smaller bits I'll just toss - I know my mom said she has a hard time throwing out scraps and even things like thread that was used for basting because she remembers when she was a child, the only thread she got to make doll dresses with was old basting thread, and scraps of fabric were precious. But maybe I need to be less "precious" and also recognize that some of the half-and-one-yard pieces could go to the local "quilt ministry" and go to make things for people who benefit from them (they do Project Linus, and Quilts of Valor, and lap robes for people in nursing homes....)


(The other option would be just to keep the storage unit for a while longer, rent on it is cheap enough, and slowly bring things back as I start new projects, I don't know).

One other thing I want to do once I have a little more spending money is get at least one more bookcase for craft books, and one for my bedroom - or better, replace the one in my bedroom with a tall one, and get a tall one to match, and THAT bookcase could go for craft books once I paint the room in there....

No comments: