Saturday, February 19, 2022

Finished a thing

 Finally.

I decided it was long past time to start sewing down the quilt bindings - I actually picked up yet another completed quilt today, so I still have two I have to make bindings for and do the machine-sewing step on. I pulled out the "Chandelier" pattern quilt the other night and started sewing the binding down by hand. (You do the initial seam on the machine, all the way around, and then fold the binding over and do the back by hand. It COULD be done on the machine, I suppose, but it's unwieldy to do and it looks worse and it's just kind of a pain. The hand sewing just takes time)

I finished it during online "knitting" time today (you don't have to knit, it's just "drop in for as long as you want to talk/listen to others talk and work on some kind of project). So one more quilt is done:


 The fabrics are from charm packs - I think it took either two or three? If I remember correctly the line was called Amberley but since fabrics tend to be discontinued quickly I'd doubt if it was still available. (I think I bought it in 2018 or so). Sashing fabric is just a plain pink, probably Kona solids.

Here's an angled shot to show the quilting a bit better


And a close-up


The backing is a "wilder" fabric, but as I noted earlier, it was something I'd hung on to for years in my fabric stash, and it's always good to get a fabric out of stash and in to use:



Patrons at a play (Or concert? Or opera?) in sort of a 1930s style. The colors match the front, more or less.

For the binding, I used another chunk-out-of-the-stash, but with bits of the leftover backing fabric interspersed:




1 comment:

purlewe said...

I really like this. You did a lovely job. It's very sweet (And I never use that word) and I love all the details you show.