Monday, April 19, 2021

a little progress

 I'm still (slowly!) sewing down the binding on the quilt top; I'm about 3/4 of the way done now. But tonight, I wanted to knit, so I pulled out the vest and added a bit more to it.


It should go fast enough if I work consistently; it's worsted weight and since it's a vest front it is not very wide. I definitely need to finish up a few ongoing projects. 

I'm also almost done with "Looting Spiro Mounds," and I think my next non-fiction book will be this:


It was recommended to me by a friend who is in the process of becoming a Disciples of Christ minister; it's published by Chalice Press, which is "our" publishing house. 

I do think in some ways I've lost a little of my kindness - or maybe not had enough chances to practice it and that's why I feel that way? But also, sometimes I find myself wondering if it's just not a losing prospect, at least temporally/in the here-and-now, because you often get run roughshod over or taken advantage of if you try to be kind. (And I've had the experience of extending grace to people and not had the same extended to me, and that's frustrating). 

I did have a couple things come in the mail. Finally the April Doki Doki crate, so maybe these are getting a little more regular again? At any rate, it only took about 3 weeks for this one to arrive from its ship date.

My favorite thing (though there was also a rather nice little resin sakura-shaped coaster, and a fold-up shopping bag) was the big plushy cat, which I have named Pinku:


the crate was sakura (cherry blossom) themed, the cat has a "cutie mark" of a stylized cherry blossom:


Also, since I didn't get a sticker (they handed them out at the student vaccine event but not at the "pod" I went to, and I needed a new t-shirt or two anyway, I had ordered this from someone on Etsy who designed "crests" for each of the common vaccine types:



It's a horse! (no, I don't know why). Note it has a bandaid over a "vaccine"

(Based on some things I've read about the corporate history, it should be an ear of corn. But I like horses better)

As I said: this week should be a little easier; one of my classes is totally done, another one is almost done, and the advanced biostats class is covering an easier and more familiar topic so I won't need to prep quite so hard.

No comments: