Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Holy cow, guys

Redacting totally.


I chose unwisely to try to make the admin happy by teaching my upper division classes in person. Too late to change that now unless someone actually shows up sick in class. So I just have to live with it

And anyway  - we have so many commuters and people who work that it will come to campus eventually. I'd feel better if we were testing people but there's no plan in place for that.

Also, perhaps a big part of my irritation over the "I'm taking a vacation the first week of classes" is pure sour grapes from me having done almost NOTHING for fun (and NOTHING worthwhile in the way of work) all summer, and I shouldn't let my bad feelings about how my life worked out color my feelings about my students.


My concerns were stupid. I should have realized that; I spent my entire childhood and adolescence being told that, and also, often in adulthood.

I hope things get better some day. I hope I survive this. But I don't know at this point. 


I may take a few days off from the blog, I know I am boring everyone and I am boring right now. I hope that changes at some point too


This is what I get for being a people-pleaser. That's why I said do the upper division classes in person; I knew it would make the administration and the students happy

3 comments:

Joan said...

Unbelievable. Quarantining that student for two weeks after their return wouldn’t even help because you can be sure they would not observe protocol properly.

I hear you about it being unfair. My son had been filming in Europe for a month, with strict Covid protocols in place (the team was traveling with a doctor and two nurses— temperatures and oxygen saturation levels tested three times a day, Covid swab every three days, masks and visors worn at all times). He still wasn’t allowed to come stay with us in France after filming was done, because he has an American passport and the border is closed to Americans.



Kim in Oregon said...

You have the choice to go all online, right? You seem to be very very stressed about in person.

Roger Owen Green said...

People pleasing. That's a curse I have, and one of my sisters especially.
They use you up then spit you out...