Friday, June 19, 2020

Friday afternoon things

* Day of taking care of stuff: went to Pruett's for food for next week (fajitas will be a thing, maybe Sunday afternoon), got more cash at the bank (been MONTHS since I've been there, I use credit cards for nearly everything any more), got gas, ran through the drive-through car wash

Then, this afternoon, I weeded the garden and did some trimming of the hollies, until my little hand nippers broke.

A new pair has been ordered already from Amazon (I considered going to Lowe's, but I was grubby, they will be busy and mask-compliance is poor and we've seen a spike in cases, and I'll have the new clippers Monday - and it's supposed to rain much of the weekend anyway)

I seem to remember a Japanese (?) custom of having funerals to memorialize broken tools. These were good little nippers; I think I've had them since I moved into this house, so close on to 20 years.

* One of my missing Doki Doki crates finally showed up (May's, as it turns out; I am still waiting on April but need to give it 10 more days before they will conclude it's lost - though now their website said "we expect all of these to arrive by the end of July, so I don't even know, I guess I just write that crate off and am happy if I get it). This one had a strawberry theme and two particularly nice little things in there:

I suppose some people eat from these little plastic bowls but I don't like to - it's kind of specifically unaesthetic to me (it's a sensory thing, I need to use a glass or Corelle (which is a type of glass, I think) or china bowl) and I also worry about the leaching of chemicals.

So instead, it will hold the various "working colors" of floss for whatever project I'm embroidering at the moment. (An earlier set of bowls now hold pins in my sewing room.

And also, the big stuffie. I have several of these now:

I have three of these from doki doki - this one, which I think is supposed to be a fox with a strawberry hat, another fox, and a Shiba Inu. I also got a clownfish a while back but included that as part of my niece's birthday present last year because she is a really big fan of "Finding Nemo."

I admit I briefly thought of saving this one in its packaging and sending it to her but (a) I think my brother and sister-in-law feel like she has plenty of toys already and (b) I waited SO LONG for this box I feel like keeping it.

* Considering taking the weekend off. Another thing I had to do today was order flowers (well, I went with a plant - a peace lily) - on behalf of the CWF; the woman who normally did it in the past is the bereaved party. Her husband, who had been unwell for a very, very long time (was on dialysis, had a slow-moving cancer, and most recently wound up in the hospital with pneumonia, but not the COVID kind) died on Wednesday....I got the text last night at the CWF executive-board meeting about it. So it was another "first time adulting" thing for me - order something, which I will get reimbursed for (so I wanted to walk the line between "cheaping out completely" and "spending too much of someone else's money" - I went with the midsized one which seemed a reasonable compromise.)

And yeah - they are planning on going ahead with services. I guess I will go? With a mask on? They want me to help serve lunch too....I admit I'm apprehensive but....I guess I have to start doing stuff again and hope the people around me have the good sense to stay home if they're sick, and I will just have to try to distance from people?

* And yeah, we had the executive board meeting for AAUW and came to the conclusion that the safest and best way to meet, at least for the first few months in the fall, will be over Zoom. I have an account so I can set up the meeting and send out the invitations, so that makes me feel useful.

(And the woman who WAS to host in September said "Yay, I don't have to clean my house!" so maybe it will be accepted OK? I hope? There are always a few complainers but another thing I guess I have to grow up into all of this is sometimes ignoring the complaints when something is decided that is safest for the majority - one person in the group is coming right off cancer treatment and still has a suppressed immune system; another is the caretaker for a frail elderly parent.

I am ...actually kinda good with the idea of Zoom meetings; I can come home, eat, and then I don't have to go back out.)

* Another reason I'm thinking of taking some time off this weekend is that this is going to be one of those "hard firsts" - Sunday is Father's Day, and I admit I had a distinct twinge earlier this month when I realized that this year, I don't pick out a card and a gift for my dad, and I don't call SPECIFICALLY FOR HIM on that Sunday and...yeah. Hard. I admit I unsubscribed from a few advertising mails when they were riding the "buy this for dad!" stuff hard, and I know they DON'T know but....this is an easy way to weed out when they are places that I don't really need to get the mails from anyway.

Yeah, I still miss my dad. As I said, I don't think it would have been good, with him having the health issues he did, to try to live through this pandemic, but still, I miss him and it sucks that he's gone, and it sucks that his last years involved so much physical pain and disability. (I am giving myself permission to nope out of either of the online church services I do if it's too father's-day centric and I start feeling sad. But since Del lost his own dad a couple years ago....he may be sensitive to that)

But tomorrow may be a day of watching old "Murder, She Wrote" re-runs, or "Parks and Recreation" re-runs and either knitting or doing some handsewing.




1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

First Father's Day after my father died was tough, even though it was 10 months after the fact. First Mother's Day was worse because it was only three months. But they both sucked.