Thursday, June 18, 2020

dropping this here

More for me than for anyone else, but this is the motherlode of ESA ecology "experiments to teach ecology" stuff, and it includes data sets (about midway down the page) that students can use in 'research' projects - even if they can't collect data on their own, they can formulate hypotheses and test them using existing data, so if I have to do "fully distanced" classes, I can have people without access to land they can do fieldwork on use those data sets for their independent projects.

There are also some potential labs there, I will have to read through them. I wrote the third lab (Island Biogeography) today, and with some minimal tweaks two of my existing labs (the natural-selection one and the cemetery demography one) could be made ready to be done "entirely distancing." So that would be five of a minimum of ten labs, and I might be able to find a couple more here. (Or, failing that, there might be one or two more simulations on that Virtual Biology Labs page that I could work up into data-collecting and analysis sessions).

I am also hoping for at least a couple weeks on campus where we could go outside (safer!) and do stuff, that would cover a couple of labs.

I am having to be inventive in a way I'd rather not have to be inventive, but whatever. It's not quite "adapt or die," but somewhat similar....adapt or fail, maybe. Or "adapt in the summer, or have a really bad fall of it if we have to go all online"

I'm also contemplating if there's something people could do on their own. maybe with iNaturalist, which I admit I've never used but maybe they could download and use it to identify plants somewhere? And do some kind of "how weedy is my lawn" or similar experiment?

1 comment:

Diann Lippman said...

I Like iNaturalist. I've used it a lot to identify unfamiliar plants - that would be a lot of them - in NH. If I can get good photos of some of the birds in the area, it should be useful in identifying those also.