Saturday, February 29, 2020

the day out

Maybe do this in quick bullet points and photos.

1. Target was surprisingly un-busy. Maybe it was because I got there around 9:30 but I was able to get my stuff (the TP, some extra shampoo for the shelf, some more tissues, a few food items (canned, mostly) and some silly stuff (they had the Creatable World clothing packs! I bought a big one and a small one but am holding off on opening them until a day when I need something fun and nice. I got the Rainy Day pack, which has a cloud-print t-shirt and a slicker and rain boots, and the clothing pack I got had a print skirt and overalls and some t-shirts in it. And more shoes, important because they have odd-sized feet that other doll shoes do not fit)

2. Ran to the bookstore for the new Simply Knitting (which they had! Maybe the issues with getting them over here have cleared up?) and a nice paperback edition of Gaudy Night (which I have NEVER READ, can you believe?) and that might be an over-spring-break book.

And then I saw this.

And I said "oh no"

Because I wanted it.

"take me home"

It is a big Kirby. I have never played the Kirby games but I vaguely know what they are about (he inhale-eats stuff to gain its power and defeat enemies) and Kirby is just cute.....as they say on the internet, "shaped like a friend" (I wanted to put a link there but can't find anything I would guarantee as work-safe/child-safe, though Kirby himself is 100% safe).

"Shaped like a friend" has a weird syntax, maybe, but I get it. I understand it and I feel it.

Fancier Kirbies were marked at $35 which seemed kind of steep and I admit I put him back at first but then was like "no, you know? Life is short and sometimes things that make you happy are good"

It turns out because he was "plain" Kirby, and I have a loyalty card, he was closer to $25.

So yeah, he came home with me.

yeah, I did

And yes, he is shaped like a friend.

Shaped like a friend

After that,

3. Drove over to Whitesboro. Got some yarn. The middle skein was free to me because of the $20 loyalty card. And I'm excited for the project with it - I wanted to make a pair of the Dragon Scale Lace Mitts but it took a dk yarn, and I didn't have any "just right" uncommitted yarn on hand.

But then I saw that Malabrigo, with its speckles, and it seems PERFECT.

It's been a while since I've been excited to start a project, so it's a good thing to feel excited again.

New yarns!

The purply one has silk in it and is called "Twilight's Reverie" (the colorway). I want to make the Tenebrae cowl with it, and I knew for a pattern named for "darkness," I wanted a twilight-colored yarn.

The other one is a West Yorkshire Spinners yarn, called "Robin" - it has the colors of the European robin in it. It makes me happy; I like European robins (even though I've never seen one "in person") and I teach a little about some of the research into clutch size that was done with them. This will just become plain socks. (After my current plain socks - see the later point 7 - are done)

4. Got lunch, but it was hectic at the usual restaurant. I think they were planning for a big group later in the day; part of the eating area was totally reserved and people were scurrying around. I had really good tomato-basil quiche and I TRIED to get a piece of coconut cake but because of a misunderstanding, the last couple pieces wound up going to a table that ordered it after I ordered my piece. It was okay and I was polite to the server about it; those things happen and she seemed to be having a worse day than me. Anyway, it wasn't her fault - she had to help some other people and the other server grabbed the cake before she could get it. So I had a piece of German Chocolate instead. Which was pretty good too.

5. Then I ran back to Sherman for the last bits of shopping. I will say the Kroger was pretty busy and once again they only had *one* checkstand open (on a Saturday, and a payday Saturday at that) but at least this time they had someone to bag....

I also went to Ulta and got my $10 off and used my accumulated points (and so had a small bill and was able to just pay cash). The "birthday presents" (I get two because I am at a higher "loyalty level" because I am such a makeup/bath stuff....um....harlot.) One was a night serum which kind of made me laugh ("of course they give that to a woman who is getting older!") but the other was a sample size of mascara, which I don't use....I might ask one of my friends in Bell Choir that I think uses it if she wants it.

And I went to JoAnn's. They had their "Cupcake" yarns on 50% off and I am a huge sucker for these color-changing cake yarns....so I bought an afghan's worth:

impulse purchase

Yeah, the colors are a little obnoxious, but I like them. And anyway, if we all end up having to self-quarantine for a while, some kind of huge time consuming project will be good.

6. Yes, I have an afghan in progress already, and this will be what I work on this evening:

state of the afghan 2/29

7.  My current "simple socks" - one of the "ribbed vintage sock patterns" (Yarrow? I think? Without looking it up I don't remember the name for sure) from Nancy Bush's book. It's an Opal yarn called Imagine or some such. Again, the colors are quite bright and loud but I LIKE that. I've been picking away at it late evenings while I re-watch an episode or two of Parks and Recreation to calm down before bed...

kirby and friends 014

8. I also picked up some fabric, I had originally intended it to use with some fabric my mom sent (bits from her stash) as a small additional birthday present:

fabric I THOUGHT would match

That is what she sent. I was remembering it as being more yellow and less brownish, and got these bee fabrics to coordinate:

covered in bees

I am not sure they will work now.

all together

Other option: get more yellow-to-orange fabrics from my stash and maybe it will balance out. Not sure what pattern I would use and I have several other quilts in further-along stages of planning I want to do first....

9. But in general, it was a good day out. I think I've got what I need for a while; maybe early summer will be my next Whitesboro trip. (I will say that the yarn shop was quite busy today, and that made me happy. The quilt shop has not re-opened, but a big sign in it said it would re-open with new ownership in a month or so.)

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

glad you had a good day