Saturday, February 29, 2020

One quick photo

I need to hit the road because I think I want to go to Target FIRST (people have already been commenting on Twitter what a freakshow their local Costcos have become; I think panic buying has started). I am not panicking, it is about time for my annual "buy one of the giant packs of toilet paper so you won't have to think about it for the rest of the year" and also I'm getting a bit low on laundry detergent. (But I *might* pick up some sanitizing wipes if there still are any on offer, just in case).

But I wanted to share this. My mom sent it in the package of birthday stuff. It is a crayon-drawing-on-fabric I made as a kid (I am not sure but I am guessing I was about 8 or 9 here). This was a common thing I did - drew something, and then my mom ironed it (face down, on paper towels) to bleed out the wax and *usually* the pigment from the crayons stayed.

(This is actually apparently a long-time thing! I have read about women in the Great Depression using that method to make quilt blocks or decorate tea towels)

She found it while going through some things, and cleaned it up (she said it had developed stains and not all of them came out, but they're not really noticeable) and then she added the crocheted border.

crayon drawing

I was pretty much from the Ed Emberley school....
The bird was my attempt to copy the plumage of a house sparrow, a very common species where I grew up

She also sent a note along with it, and I had forgotten this, but it made my heart crack again just a little: she noted "Your dad always liked the birds you drew."

Yeah. I remember that now. Both my parents liked my drawing; I think they felt it was good to encourage something like that. I wasn't a great artist (still am not) but I do remember many happy hours with a stack of paper and a box of crayons or colored pencils as a kid. (Maybe another reason my parents liked me drawing? It allowed me to be occupied and fairly quiet but happy.)

1 comment:

anita said...

I went to Walmart on Thursday (after the cardiologist appointment, since I was out that way) to get hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and cat little. I'll go one more time (probably Sunday morning when it's pretty empty) for more toilet paper, paper towels and pee pads (two old and sometimes-incontinent cats); then it will be mostly business as usual.

I AM going to empty the closet in the spare room so I can use it for storage. I have plenty of stored food already—I come from a long line of people who aren't really comfortable unless they have two or three months of food basics on hand—mostly what I need to buy is cat and dog food and cat litter. And sunflower seeds, finch seed and peanuts . . . if I'm going to stuck at home, I want entertainment, which means feeding things.

I DID order a few masks and replacement filters from Amazon, but I suspect that's money wasted; this is a small town (less than 10,000 people) and there aren't a lot of places where loads of people gather. I think the worst source of germs might be the fact tha1 a lot of people who work in Asheville in service industries live here because they can't afford to live there.

So I am as ready as I'm going to get, I guess.