Wednesday, November 20, 2019

you know what?

This morning, in class, I realized something, and I have had a bit of a change of heart.

All those people who told me I was so "brave" and "strong" in the wake of my dad's death? (And everything else)? And how I kind of rolled my eyes and said "deliver me from this" because I didn't feel so strong, I just felt like I was doing what needed to be done and was getting nothing more done AT ALL, I was just going in and teaching my classes and doing as little committeework and research as I could manage to get away with?

No, they were right. I was hella strong and brave. I didn't miss a single darn day of work over this. I walked into class every darn morning and took a deep breath and TAUGHT, even when I didn't feel like it, even when all I wanted was to go back home and get into bed. It didn't help when someone would stop the class dead over something I had gone over literally five minutes before, or who complained "but you never told us that" (and thank God for the students who chorused back at them: "oh yes, she did"). Even when I was running back to my office for the five minutes I had between classes and closing the door and reading what I could of my twitter feed because I just needed an escape for a few minutes.

AND I went to all the AAUW meetings and did everything I needed to do at church and I kept the house sort of minimally clean and managed to do enough laundry to wear clean clothes every day. I didn't work out every day I might have in better times, I didn't eat as healthfully as I might in better times, I bought more stuff (yarn, books, stuffed animals) as comfort purchases as I might.

But I pretty much made it through. (Seeing as the week after Thanksgiving, two of my classes are just students doing presentations and a third is just review and an exam, I am counting this semester as done. Grading I can cope with. It stinks, but I can cope with it because at the worst, I can go home and put on cartoons and have a mug of tea at my elbow while I grade. Going into class and teaching and interacting with people was what was hard)

And yeah, maybe I'm telling myself this now because I need to remind myself that I just need to be brave and strong for a little bit longer, to get through everything in the next week*


(*Oh, how much of adulthood is saying over and over again, "maybe next week will be easier"?)

But yeah. I am also struck by how surreal the news of the outside world seems and how little I care. I'm just tired and like I said, not looking forward to the coming week. So I don't care what goofiness other people have got up to. (Though at the same time: I am noticing a new tendency, or rather the resurgence of an old tendency, in  myself: if someone uses an insulting word about someone (e.g., "pig," as one of the less-directly-offensive ones) as part of their critique of the person's behavior, I am much less prone to listen to them. Even if I might agree. It feels more and more like that kind of insult is unnecessary. (Oh, it is one thing to say "so and so acts like a bully," that makes sense to me and it's pointing out a behavior pattern. But saying "so and so is just a d*ck because...." I feel like it's unnecessary; state the offensive behavior and if necessary explain why. But it does seem we've all got down in the collective mud in recent years and I'm tired of it)

No comments: