Thursday, September 19, 2019

and I'm trying

Lots of people out sick or "sick" on a day a paper was due, and several people pleaded computer problems or "I have just a little more revision I wanted to do" so I decided, heck, I'll let them take more time and I'll just grade these Monday instead. (The class meets next on Tuesday, so I will still meet my self-imposed deadline of "short assignments back in the next class period").

I get a big assignment in another class to grade tomorrow, so I will have to do that on Friday afternoon and maybe in to Saturday.

But right now....if I could get through the two samples I need to do today before 12:30 or so....well, I could be "done" for the rest of the day.

(College professors are never really "done" - I could do that grading, I could write the exam for next Friday, I could work on assessment data).

But maybe I do decide I am "done" for today. Go home and eat a nice lunch, then go and do my grocery shopping for the week (Locally, I am still "off" driving even if there are a couple things the natural foods store in Sherman has that I would like) and then go home and mmmmmaybe do the workout I skived off on this morning (because I was sore) and wash my hair and then sit and knit tonight. Because too many nights lately I've pushed it - last night, re-reading the article for discussion, which then bought me the time this morning to do the grading, and...yeah. It never stops, which is why I'm tired.

I'm really trying NOT to feel guilty about maybe taking a couple hours off this afternoon during "business hours" (I don't have class, I don't have office hours, the person who needs to make up an exam is doing it tomorrow at 8). (Or maybe I take the papers home and read them, knowing I'll have a batch more on Monday....)

But yeah, lately it seems like my life has been me getting stuff done, and kind of dusting my hands off and going "now I can relax" and the rest of my life snickering as it sneaks up on me to dump another task on me, and I am not good at not-working. Which is a skill I need to learn because really, life isn't life if you're only ever doing things you must do and never things you want to do.


****

Slight change in plans: "Flu has already been reported in our county" so I am running out to Walgreen's to get the anti-flu jab. Yes, it takes two weeks for full immunity but still. I want to avoid the flu. And then I'm going to do my weekly grocery shopping. Then come home and relax, because I had the flu shot, y'all

Also, my new small lavender bunny came. The "official" name is Xander but she is pink so she is a she so she will need a different name. Not sure of one yet:

She can go right in the microwave (for a v. short time) to heat up; there is a pouch in her full of cherry pits and sprayed with a lavender essence (and instructions on how to replenish it when it runs out, and also, the bag can be taken out and the bunny herself washed in the machine - very well designed there).


1 comment:

anita said...

Being responsible is all well and good, as well as necessary, especially if one wishes to continue eating and not go live in a refrigerator box . . . but when you (or me) is old and possibly too infirm to do very much, are you going to be sorry you didn't spend more afternoons doing work-related stuff, or that you didn't blow work off and go for a walk on a crisp autumn afternoon, or wrap up in a cozy afghan with a stuffed animal or two and spend the afternoon reading something completely frivolous, or spend a happy hour or two rearranging all your ponies and dolls (which would be plastic animals for me; I have a big box full, including the black-rubber Mrs. Pig that was my mother's, and is so played-with that she has no feet anymore, only legs)?