Monday, August 26, 2019

Monday is over.

I'm better but not BETTER. I made it through teaching. I am exhausted. I almost fell asleep a couple times in the Title VII meeting, and I don't remember one word about it, though if I ever have to file a grievance (I doubt I ever will) I do know what to do. And I know how to guide students if they need to. So I guess that's what matters.

Got a letter from Minnesota Life; my half of my dad's life-insurance policy was $2500 and it's been deposited so I guess that goes into my "new roof" fund. (I told myself if it was very small - I had no idea what it would be because my dad never bought more life insurance; he just took what was given, on the grounds that he had investments that would take the place of it if needed - I'd just blow it on junk, which I know would have disappointed my father, but if it was more than about $300, it would go towards getting a new roof - hopefully, a metal roof, if it's not too expensive - this fall).

I will say my dad would be pleased to know the money went to a new roof.

(ETA: I called my mom to let her know. She told me she had gotten the other one - the one from at Akron - and she was shocked at how large it was but I reminded her that he probably bought that one when Jon and I were small, and if something had happened to him, he would have wanted us taken care of. Also, Akron (in the Ohio system) was a lot more generous in a lot of ways (and more humane to deal with) than the state of Illinois system was. But it reassures me more to know that my mom will not know want; that she will be able to stay in their house as long as she wants to/can and she can afford whatever she needs.)

***

The long delayed pony that was my most recent Esty saga came. New to me seller, didn't get shipped when they said it would, first they refunded the shipping and said it'd go out August 1. It never went out. I e-mailed them again and asked, heard nothing back, went to Etsy. Ultimately, my full price got refunded BUT THEN the seller sent the pony and I admit I'm afraid to open it because if there's a shaming "I had troubles in my life, why did you do this to me?" note I will just cry. Also the pony feels slightly cursed to me now....

here is the possibly-cursed box:

I'll post this now in case a demon flies out and kills me when I open it; if there's nothing but a pony in there I'll post its photo later


No demon, but there was a carpet-beetle casing in there, so I think maybe the pony hangs out in the freezer for a while, and then I wash her down:





Her flank is dirtier/more rubbed than I thought it would be from the description. Oh well. Live and learn.

So this is Twinkle Dancer. I *think* she's the last of the "big sister" ballerina ponies (I think there is one more of the babies I don't have). So much for being a completist; trying to find that "last one" sometimes leads to disappointment.

***

Other than that, I just feel kind of tired and "flat." I need to finish my piano practice for today and while I have leftover picadillo, I admit I also feel like I'd like something else for dinner. (I am in pajamas now - it was so hot and so nasty out and I pretty much clawed my bra off as soon as I got in the door, so I won't go out to get anything). I think I have the makings for cheese pizza but of course that would mean turning the oven on. I don't know. (My go-to pizza place, Roma's, doesn't deliver and anyway Monday is the day they are closed, and I really don't want to resort to Domino's or Pizza the Hutt or even Marco's (if they even deliver) and anyway....I need to cut back on sodium again.

this is one of those times where I kind of wish I had someone to feed me, someone who would just make something nice and fairly nutritious and I wouldn't have to think about it.

***

Another thing: another big chunk of branch came down. It is in my yard and isn't blocking anything so I just looked at it and thought "I don't have the 'spoons'" and just walked past it when I got home. I hope my pecan tree isn't dying and this is just that it's got a really heavy crop on it this year. I tried to trim back the small branches I could reach from the ground with either my handsaw or a pole pruner, but I couldn't do much. (The tree guy never called back, though it looks like I have a voicemail from 9 am today I have to check out, though it gives a location rather than a name or US cellular so I won't be surprised if it's a robocall instead).

I am not sure I am even strong enough to move the branch, and Bulky Waste won't take it unless it's cut into smaller bits so I don't even know. If I can't get the tree guy maybe I ask Emily if her husband could come over and cut it up; I know he has a chainsaw.

things are just....hard. This is something I did not need.

(No voicemail, and trying to return the call gets a "fast busy." The identifier given was Tyrone Oklahoma and a reverse phone number lookup says it's not likely spam so maybe it was a wrong number/ I don't even know.)

***

One last thing, because this is Big Mood and the feeling was enough for me to strip my signboard and redo it

No comments: