Monday, August 26, 2019

a little nicer

As I said on Twitter, if you feel like the world's broken and you can't fix it, you can at least make your own place nicer.

I made the effort to go out to Lowe's and get picture hangers even though it was super hot, so after dinner I decided to just pound some hangers in the wall and throw the framed postcards up.

My tip for if you can't be bothered to get things precisely lined up and symmetrical (or if you just can't do it), just go random and act like you meant it that way. That's what I often do about hanging things on the wall. No one has ever said anything to me about it. (Then again: few people are allowed in my house, and they tend not to be the kind of people who would criticize me)

So here they are. These are postcards my mom bought for me in London (very possibly at a museum or the Linnean Society; they are reproductions of pages from a botanical book or flora):




















The signboard was an impulse purchase at JoAnn's about a year ago, I finally hung it up.





























You can also see a tiny bit of my re-organized cook book bookshelves there.

It's a little thing, but it makes me happy to have this corner cleaned up and also to have the postcards up where I can see them now.

Yes, I have stuff ALL OVER THE WALLS of my house, but I don't care. It's one way I am a little bit neo-Victorian; I like my "fancies." When I leave this house, who ever buys it (if they don't just tear it down, which is entirely possible, other houses of similar vintage have been torn down locally) they will have to patch the holes in the wallboard but again I don't really care. I live here now, I will probably live here for at least 20 more years, so I might as well have the pictures that make me happy up on the walls. 

I also made a little bit of a breakthrough on "Skylark" (the Carmichael tune, but in a Keveren arrangement) while practicing piano this evening and it's starting to sound like it should, so that's a relief.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness! I love love love that kind of botanical art.