Monday, July 08, 2019

The new glasses

So, sitting in my office, not getting *a lot* done (most of what I got done today was gathering materials to go collect soil tomorrow). My phone rang. This is not always very good, as I often get spam calls in the office and I can't easily read the "call from" screen.

But this one was good: my new glasses are in. So I decided to bail and go get them instead of trying to read more.

(And as it turns out: bell choir had to be rescheduled for tomorrow night, so I can always do some reading here at home this evening).

The new distance adjustment, while minor, I can tell it helps my vision a lot. The close adjustment...well, it may take a while to get used to because it's a *lot* stronger. The doctor decided to do that after my complaint about not being able to comfortably thread needles or read without taking my glasses off.

I did try reading a little in the car before driving home - yeah, I can see that this adjustment will fix that but finding the "sweet spot" for watching tv in comfort (added challenge: I like to keep the sound really low and have the closed captions, and almost read as much as I listen) may be difficult, and I can tell I'm going to need to be careful with steps and walking until my eyes adjust to the new stronger correction.

(I'm hopeful I will be able to focus on music better at the piano; I can tell of late I confuse some notes - especially B5 and D5 (the notes around the C above middle C) and the lower-staff B, D, and F)

And yeah, the optician warned me: keep your old ones close at hand, if you get a headache at first swap the old ones out for the new ones. Anyway, the old ones can serve as a spare (I guess the Lions Club still collects old glasses, maybe I take my next-oldest pair (which had served as a spare before I got these) and donate those). I always like having spares (I also keep an older pair in my office) just in case I break a pair, because I can't drive without glasses. (Though I suspect in an emergency I could get someone to drive me).

Anyway. Some of you might be thinking (or might not) "Enough of how you SEE in them, how do you LOOK in them?"

I confess I'm not *quite* as in love with them as when I first picked them out, but I'm sure I'll adjust to them. (The lenses are bigger, and have wire frames around the bottom:

Okay, I think I'll keep 'em.


1 comment:

anita said...

I don't know about the Lions Club, but my Walmart has an vision center, and they have a box in front for donated glasses. That's where I usually donate mine, which is frequent, since after passing 60 I seem to need new bifocals every year. Bummer!