Monday, July 29, 2019

So you know

My father passed away while I was en route to Illinois. It's sad and hard but he had less than 24 hours of being really bad and in real misery. Apparently that happens some times; it was probably congestive heart failure that just crashed very fast.


the hospice nurse told me that when I told him I loved him over the phone, that not only did he hear and understand, he made an effort to say "I love you" back. I didn't hear it but I was pretty upset at that point and i'm choosing to believe the nurse.

This morning, my mom and I go to the funeral home to start making arrangements.

It's all so surreal. I keep expecting to hear him call from the other room.

One other thing: I had a quick, hard lesson on "how to make yourself only cry on the inside." When I got off the train, I noticed my mom had taken his wedding band and was wearing it on a chain around her neck. And that KILLED me because that was how I knew he was really gone. (I am glad it gives her comfort, though)

I will be back in maybe a week or ten days. THere is a lot to do here.

12 comments:

jodel said...

I'm sorry. Holding you and your family in the Light.

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm sorry Erica. Glad you are there with your mom.

Barn Owl said...

I'm so sorry Erica. Thinking of you and your family.

CGHill said...

The Lord hath called him home.

Don't let anyone tell you to pick yourself up and carry on. You knew this man all your life. You're entitled to mourn at your own pace.

Friar said...

Prayers for you and your family.

Jay said...

We are so sorry to hear of your loss. May He hold and comfort you, your mom, and all in your family and friends.

Joe said...

I am sorry for your loss.

My Mom died last fall. I'm still not over it.

purlewe said...

Sorry about your dad. So glad you went home to help your mom. Please take extra good care of yourself and your mom right now. (And your brother too if you see him and his family)

Jean said...

So sorry for your loss.

Kalpana said...

Condolences and love to you and your family.

kbehroozi said...

Oh Erica...may light perpetual shine upon him.
Sending you love and praying for comfort and peace for you and your mom and brother. I know how much they all mean to you.

Rachel B. said...

I'm so sorry, Erica. Thinking of you and your family.