Wednesday, July 10, 2019

at least this....

Sometimes collaborations work out* pretty well. (Sometimes not).

(*Ironically, I have found collaborating with students - even though they may have less experience and less time to work on things like papers - is more rewarding than collaborating with fellow employed academics. Without giving too much detail, I had a case of someone deciding instead of jointly publishing work we did together - where I get credit too - that they would just extract some of the results for another publication of theirs, and I get no credit. And this is someone closer to retirement and so with fewer worries about post-tenure review than I have. Oh well.)

Anyway, I sent the recent manuscript - which I admit, turned out better than I hoped it would - off to the student who had collected data with me (she is now beginning dental school). She gave me some suggestions (and found a typo I can fix) and also in the last of the chain of e-mails added this (identifying details removed):



"I think this is a great paper. I am very  proud to see it so developed and so glad you allowed me to be a part of it. I also think it's pretty cool we thanked [my boyfriend] for his help as a field hand. He will just glow over that.

[it's standard to include an Acknowledgements section where you thank the people who helped]


Please let me know if this progresses onto the next stages of publication. If it is published I need to find out how to get 'copies'. My mother and grandmother will be so proud!!! 


Dr. [fillyjonk] - Thank you for teaching me so much about research, data analysis, and plant species. This has been a very interesting growth and development for me as a professional and I have very much enjoyed working with you."


I guess some times you win some. Like I said on Twitter: the cleansing fire can be cancelled for today. (I was very down on humanity this morning, just because of stuff in the news and also some local rude-human behavior) 

No comments: