Tuesday, May 14, 2019

RIP Tim Conway

Just heard on the news that Tim Conway had died. (I guess he had been unwell for a while? Normal Pressure Hydrocephaly?)

This is kind of sad; he featured in a number of things I remember ("The Carol Burnett Show," of course, but he also did a lot of guest appearances - I think he was on at least one episode of "Murder She Wrote," along with Harvey Korman) and I think he was also in some movies? He often played a character not too unlike the characters Don Knotts played a generation or so earlier....

Anyway, as tribute, I present the (in)famous Elephant Sketch. Which was actually an outtake from the show, I'm not sure whether because they all cracked up (Dick Van Dyke actually fell off the arm of the sofa) or more likely for Vicki Lawrence's "spicy sentence enhancer" in her last line:



And yeah, I confess: I have one or two people in my life in the habit of telling interminable, rambling stories, and I find myself sometimes thinking like "Mama" there, as they slowly meander towards the conclusion, "Do ya figure that little a-hole's through?" (But I only ever THINK it)

No comments: