Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Piano tuning day

the piano tuner comes today so I'm quickly cleaning up the house (especially: removing everything from the vicinity of the piano so it's easier for him to work.

Am trying to deal with some other things - I found out last night from someone at CWF that apparently there's no more regular brush pick-up; you have to call and request it. (They used to do it once or twice a month on Wednesdays, but at least 3 Wednesdays have elapsed, including a first Wednesday, which used to be the day in my neighborhood, and nothing).

I am not surprised; my city has gone through some turmoil with lots of people quitting and people on the Council threatening to sue each other and our infrastructure crumbling. (There are several horrendous potholes - like, big enough to damage your rims, or perhaps even an axle, if you hit them just wrong - on the route I take to work). The city's response to potholes is usually to dump a load of gravel in it and/or put some pylons up around it. There's one pothole near my building that's pretty clearly the result of a leaking water main (as it is always filling with water, even on dry days) but the city has made no effort to investigate further than to either block off the lane or dump gravel in it.

So yeah, I can see Solid Waste not doing its regular hauling runs.

But the city's webpage says this:

"In order to keep our city as clean as possible, and operate as efficiently as possible, this service will be offered free of charge on a scheduled basis only.  Residential customers will be allowed to place bulky waste, yard waste, or excess refuse curbside every other Wednesday in accordance with the [my city] Code of Ordinances.

Requests for pick-up of bulky waste outside the scheduled routes will incur a fee on the utility account."

So I don't even know. (I tried calling, got voice-mail.) So either I leave the stuff there, or I risk incurring an extra fee, or I find someone with a pickup truck I can borrow, load it up, take it to the dump myself, and pay to dump it.

I suspect if I leave the brush long enough the city will come after me. And if I left it untrimmed (so no cut brush was generated), they'd come after me. You can't win.

And this doesn't get rid of the broken microwave which I wanted to ask about too. Maybe I call the Choctaw recycling and see what they say.

But yeah. All of this makes extra steps and extra effort and they never exactly OFFICIALLY told us they wouldn't pick up yard waste (and the website seems to claim they still do, but I've got some brush - as does a neighbor- that's sat for a month with no pick up.)

It also bugs me to keep trying calling and just getting sent to voice mail. I know the Solid Waste guys are busy but....maybe re-route the call to the main city desk so people can actually talk to a person? I don't know, maybe I go down there myself if the piano tuner gets done early enough....


**

ETA: He's here, he's been working for A WHILE (I guess a year is too long to go between tunings in this climate). Bulky waste called back and said they'd "get me on the list" and 15 minutes later someone came and took the stuff away. (Hm.)

And an Etsy order (well, partial order, they forgot the manatees but I've e-mailed them about it and I expect they'll make it right) with this little dude came

Yes, I know I have a ton of these little things but I just love this fat little guy.

No comments: