Sunday, April 28, 2019

Air dried hair

I read somewhere - someone's tumblr, I think - that "people with curly hair should not brush or comb it when it's wet" (There's also a school of thought that curly hair shouldn't be brushed at all but I can't quite see that working for me, because I get SRS BEDHEAD overnight, even with my hair mostly in a braid).


Anyway, like the cool kids say, felt cute, might delete later:

It kind of spontaneously goes into ringlets but they're not quite as Rarity-esque as I might like. (I will gently brush it out later so I can get it to braid.)

(That's also a no-makeup look, which is kinda brave for me here)

***

Yeah, Charles, a love of "smol creatures" is something I have had all my life. Fortunately most of them are more reasonably-priced than the usual comfort items adults buy for themselves.

Though I did comment on Twitter about how someday (many many years in the future I hope) my potential heirs will be going "what the heck why does she have 50 vintage My Little Ponies and so many other little animal toys?" Then again, one of my friends on there commented that "you do for you, not for your heirs" and yeah, that's right. (And for all I know? Maybe my My Little Ponies will be really worth a lot in 2070, and will fund my niece's retirement or something. Probably not, but who knows?)

***

I did a ton more brushcutting today. Five wheelbarrows full and I'm not quite done yet. But it does look a lot better, and I am promising myself that maybe Friday afternoon (when I don't have class and next week is exam week) I can get more topsoil and some more plants - either herb plants or more flowers or maybe a perennial shrub of some kind - and put more plants in. (That's the motivation that keeps me cutting and pulling). I want to get more lavender (all of mine died) and maybe a butterfly bush, and maybe some other things. I might even take a jaunt to Twin Oaks in Sherman for fancier plants.

That said: that kind of exercise is the best exercise for me because it's not running on a treadmill that goes nowhere, or jumping around to a dvd with a guy with an unrecognizable accent (Nigerian? Caribbean? British but with some weird overlay?). Yes, I'm tired after a day of working on it but it's a good tired.

Also I feel like I'm doing something useful and that needs to be done any way.

Unfortunately, my forearms now look kind of like the photos of "measles infection" online; the allergic rash from the contact with the blackberry spines probably did it.

***

I also finished the stitching of blocks for the current quilt top, but at some point have to clear things out from somewhere (living room floor maybe) and lay it out to get the best arrangement of blocks.

I'm glad I went with white as the background fabric rather than the pink I originally planned; it was not quite the RIGHT pink and I think it would have made me like the top less. Plain neutrals (like white or off-white) are hard to go wrong with.

Not sure what the next top will be but I think I want to try to work on more of them. Maybe this summer, in between all the (ugh) health stuff (colonoscopy, I have to get a small probably-cyst on my right temple removed - not because it's a medical worry but a cosmetic one, and getting my eyes checked again because they seem to have got worse) and working on stuff on campus I take a couple evenings a week and just sew, aiming at getting some of the backlog of ideas and fabric realized. 

Sewing really is my "first craft language" and when I return to it after some time away I'm always reminded how much I love it and how much it calms me down.

***

My car goes in for the airbag recall repair tomorrow. So I don't have to leave here until 7:30 am. I will probably still get up at the normal time but use the extra time before leaving the house to do more piano practice; tomorrow evening depending  on what happens (and the interviewee's schedule) I either go out to dinner with a group from the department and with them, or I have bell choir, and it would be nice to have the piano practice done or mostly done since I know I'll be out in the evening.

3 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

The great thing about having little hair is that bed-head (or hat-head) is not really an issue.

purlewe said...

what I have heard about curly hair is this.. comb it once while it is wet. if you can comb it with your fingers or, as I do, come it out with a wide toothed comb and then i comb it out with my fingers so the like curls can join together. Then don't comb it or touch it again until you wash it again. and never use a brush.

My hair is weird in that the shorter it is the straighter it is.. so with my asymmetrical cut I tend to comb the short side with a comb and the long side with my fingers.

Lynn said...

This feels weird to say but I have not brushed my hair in years. I use a natural horn comb several times a day. Oklahoma is way too windy for only-once-a-day combing. At least for straight hair like mine.