Friday, February 22, 2019

From me, this time

So, driving in to my drive (after an afternoon working* and a trip to the bank**)

(*Got everything done I wanted to get done!)

(**Long story, but: I had to place another order for supplies on my parents' behalf, and my mom sent me a check to cover it. So if I go out to Sherman tomorrow, that's my cash for stuff)

There was a box on my porch. I laughed, and momentarily said "Holy crap, not another one!" Because it was a stuffed-animal sized box. (There are one or two other critters I have on my Amazon list).

But then I remembered: no, wait, you placed an order from Build-a-Bear.

They were having a sale - President's Day, maybe*** - on some of their older critters. And I  decided it was time to get a Tempest Shadow. I had looked at her off and on and thought of getting one.

(*** Yes, I know. It makes me vaguely uncomfortable too)

So I did. (And heh. In her mind I was calling her Tempest Storm but no that is really not right (chance of nsfw pictures of a human at that site).

And yeah. She's a villain in the movie (And yes, I have it on dvd, have not watched it yet. Sometime. Soon). But the character design was cool and the price was a good price. (And if MLP:FiM is ending soon, the pipeline of stuffies is gonna shut off, so I figure I better get whichever commercial ones I want now) And anyway, like many villains in the series, she does apparently get reformed. (And in a way, her persona - based on what I've read - that she was rejected as a foal by her peers, well, that maybe has a little bit of resonance with me). And also the idea of the "imperfection" of her broken horn. (Aren't we all a little broken in some way)

So I bought her. And her armor, which I haven't put on her yet. But yeah, this has been a month filled with stuffie acquisition for me, which is funny and ironic given it's the month I turn 50.


Edited to add: I don't know if Build-a-Bear has changed fabric/stuffing suppliers but she feels more squeezable and nice than the Zecora I bought a few years ago - more heavily stuffed, and yet, the stuffing is more yielding. (I suspect that there have been great advances in stuffing technology in recent years, at least it seems that way). And the Minky type fabric that makes the purple parts of her is very nice. I bought her "armor" and did put it on her - she's wearing a black bodysuit (which I referred to as "pajamas" on Twitter but maybe it's more like a ninja suit...or really like under-armor so it looks like she's wearing more or less full body armor when her armor is on).

I dunno. I just like her. Her broken horn is sparkly. She has an embroidered scar over her "injured" eye.

I also can't help but think of the "Crimson plumes of horsehair" as Rosemary Sutcliffe describes how the Roman helmets were adorned. (If that was a real thing...well, I wonder if that's why whoever drew her first gave her hair like that; it does recall the plume on some ancient helmets)

No comments: