Monday, January 14, 2019

Solved problem #2

1. The router at home is still working normally, so I don't know. Some kind of weird power blip overnight? It got too loaded up with aether and I had to unplug it in order for it to all leak out? ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.")

2. One of my colleagues was griping about how the (shared by everyone on my floor) printer was refusing to print, throwing a code, because the toner cartridge was low. ("It says there are 2000 pages left, how wasteful is it we have to throw it away at that point? And now I guess I'll have to send it to the downstairs printer and WALK ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE" [n.b.: this is not someone with a disability of any kind])

I looked at him, and silently opened up the printer, took the cartridge out, inverted it, shook it a couple times, put it back in...

"That's not gonna work!"

....closed the printer, it started printing. I just gave him a LOOK and went back to my office.

No, I didn't hear a "thank you" but whatever.  

***

It was a long day. First days always are. I am tired and ever so slightly grumpy and also am in one of those moods where all the various sillinesses/smugnesses/burning-hot-takes/hectoring/lecturing I see from other people online are super annoying me.

And yet, I don't want to log off, because I'm also kind of longing for a little bit of positive feedback, hoping one of my "mutuals" will come on and say something nice. 

(I also have CWF tonight and in a moment I have to run out for a couple things)

But yeah. I'm kind of tired and a little bereft and am hoping tomorrow goes smoothly.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I love when I am able to solve something that has everyone else stumped especially if it's people who think they're smarter than me but it doesn't happen very often anymore.

Roger Owen Green said...

You ARE magic!

purlewe said...

I hope your router woes are behind you.

And I agree with you.. I am loathe to fix printer problems for people who act like they can't do anything for themselves. I thank you for that person who should have thanked you. THANK YOU! may they figure out their own printer issues in the future.