Monday, January 14, 2019

On reaction images

A couple people I follow on Twitter have taken the tack of "If there's some controversy going on, and I want to say something but I know it would just stir people up/be unproductive, I'm gonna post A Thing" where the Thing is some kind of an image (one person does giant statues, the other does ducks).

And I thought, you know, the world seems so very pointy right now, that maybe I need to do that. Instead of feeling my feelings, I post some kind of an image, which will also take the place of me saying something (because sometimes you know nothing you can say will help, or you don't have the energy for dealing with the blowback you might get).

My problem is, what do I use? I mean, the most on-brand thing for me would probably be a Pony rolling her eyes:

(And there are more ponies out there like that.  I am partial to the Rarity Side-Eye:)

(Oh wow, it's even a .gif - Rarity blinks. This one is from Derpibooru)

But there are other things I could use.

I thought of hobbits, because hobbits are peaceable until they are pushed beyond the limit, and there are some pretty nice images of hobbit-houses out there.

(This one is apparently an image from one of the movies)

And there is something nice about that. The finality of the closed door. ALMOST but not quite an implication of "I'm takin' my marbles and going home." And hobbit-houses are about comfort, and controversy makes me uncomfortable, so...


But also, I thought of Grumpy Homer in Bed. This is an image - I think I first saw this as a reaction image somewhere and I laughed out loud of it because who among us has NOT felt this EXACT way:

Oh man. Those eyes. Big mood, as the cool kids say.

But there are other good grumpy characters; I have much love for the various grumpy Pingus that are out there:



Hah.

So I dunno. Maybe random grumpy cartoon character for "what someone is saying makes me mad/sad but I'm not gonna give anyone the satisfaction of knowing" and maybe side-eye Rarity for "This argument is so feathering stupid I want to say something but I don't want to descend into the stupidity"

But then there's also this .gif, which also works in some situations: where you get tricked into reading what starts out looking like a blogpost or even a reasoned argument, but winds up with "Buy this book at...."

Oh man. That's one of my favorite lines out of the whole movie.






1 comment:

Lynn said...

I like the idea of using images but I'm usually too impatient to take the time to look for just the right one.