Tuesday, December 25, 2018

A merry Christmas

This song came across my Christmas Pandora feed a lot in the past couple weeks:



I don't know if it's specifically an LDS (Latter-day Saints, commonly known as "Mormons," though I know some dislike that second designation) tune but I am not familiar with it, and every version I see seems to be the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

But yes, it does kind of get at - to use "Good Place" terms - what we all owe to each other. I do think we owe each other civility and even kindness and service when service is needed.

One thing I try to take seriously about my faith is the "we are His hands and feet" idea, and this question does ask: what gift do we bring, where that "gift" may be as much serving other people as anything else.

And another thing I have to remember: meaningful service can still be small service. We can't all go to Haiti to perform dental surgeries*




(*I am thinking about this after learning that the oral surgeon who removed my wisdom teeth more than 25 years ago - and extracted a bad tooth of my dad's - died suddenly in Haiti; apparently he went there on a regular basis as mission work, doing oral surgery on people who needed it)

But we can all serve in some way. Even if it's just helping push a stranded motorist's car, or showing a little kindness to someone who doesn't often get kindness, or shoveling the driveway for someone who would find it difficult to do so.

And while for some of us, today is about what we GET (or what we give our immediate families, friends, or "chosen family,") maybe tomorrow and the future days should be us thinking about "how can we give by serving?"

I think the world would be a better place if more of us (And I include myself in that; I am not always the best at "seeing the other person") did so.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

I know it's late, but I plan to listen to all the music you've posted post-Christmas. Thank you!