Friday, January 19, 2018

link for me

So I can find it again when I'm at home and can print stuff just for me (not work related*)

Jelly Roll Magic quilt.

(* No restriction handed down from 'above' but I don't want to abuse our printing budget because we're still dealing with budget cuts)

One of my goals this year is to try to convert a lot of my accumulated precut fabrics into tops, and maybe also get those tops quilted. Even if it means doing a "simple" top rather than waiting for "just the right" pattern for a particular jelly roll or layer cake. The fabric isn't doing me as much good sitting in my sewing room as it would made up into a quilt.

I also might modify the pattern to use more of the strips (instead of five sets of five, which uses 25, use eight sets of five and use forty, and have more blocks and a bigger quilt. And use a "focus fabric" to cut the 5" squares from, in place of a charm pack - I don't really have any charm packs but I often would buy a couple yards of one of the fabrics from the line to use either as sashing or a border)

I often think I should invest in a whole bolt of plain white Kona cotton so I have enough on hand for these. (with the pre-cuts, I obviously don't pre-wash the fabric, so not washing the Kona as I used it off the bolt would not be an issue). Of course, the other thought is just go to Lulu and Hazel's as I plan one of these and get the white (or other color) solid that I need - I think they sell Kona cotton and it would be another way to support them. (They are open every day except Sundays, so they're pretty accessible)

No comments: