Saturday, November 04, 2017

out and about

It was super busy, and it took a LONG time, but I got the shopping done. And I feel better. Partly for having "foraged" (on the menu for next week: lamb loaf), partly for just having gotten OUT and done something other than obsess about the silly rewrite, but also because I did buy a few frivolous things.

(Non frivolous things: More pantyhose, some dark tights if it ever gets cold enough to need them - the ones I wore as Marie Curie, the elastic has perished and while they didn't fall down, they felt uncomfortably loose. A new smoke detector for my bedroom to replace the really old one in there. New toothbrush. Some tea-tree oil because I have a persistent blemish on the back of my hairline and supposedly that's a way of dealing with bacteria....)

Among frivolous things: a couple Barbie dresses for the Gabby Douglas doll. (They were not that expensive). Some Christmas cards ahead, because I like to get the nice "Leanin' Tree" ones for some friends and family "back East" - Leanin' Tree is Colorado-based, but to a lot of my relatives, they think I live "out west," so it works. And Leanin' Tree does some nice Christmas cards - some are reverent without being overly saccharine, others are good-humored, some just have nice sentiments like wishing the person a blessed Christmas.

And then, some tree ornaments from Target. I am still *seriously* contemplating buying a 6' tall "slim" tree (Target had a couple, without lights, for a not-terrible price, but the problem would be finding storage as they are not the kind that you take apart and store in a box). But I like the idea of finally having a "big" tree, and being able to put more ornaments on it.

And these are the ones I bought:

A hammerhead shark and a narwhal, both decorated with sequins.


Yes, they don't have anything to do with The True Meaning of Christmas, but I like them and they make me smile. And they remind me of the ornaments my mom made when I was a kid - felt, with sequins (and those sequins held down with a seed bead, just like these have).

And I bought some "window clings" (those gel things that stick to windows) - a wintry fox and penguin in sweaters, and some pine trees. I'm going to put them up on my office window once it gets acceptably close to Christmas for me to have decorations up, because darnit, I'm in my office enough that I probably should decorate it a LITTLE.

I also bought the latest issues of the magazines I get on the newsstand (Quilty - and I am still happy that it has come back, and the British "Simply Knitting.") And when I was checking out, the Books a Million was doing a thing where you could buy and donate a book to the local hospital's children's ward. So I decided, why not, and bought a copy of a picture-book version of "The Nutcracker" (I presume they're doing it for kids who are stuck in the hospital over Christmas.

I know karma isn't really a thing, but I also keep hoping that doing good things for others brings good back to me.

And another frivolous thing...I bought another Blindbox "The Loyal Subjects" pony although I already had a couple and was afraid of getting a repeat (the common ones are very common, the rare ones are very rare, and I already had Applejack and Minty and Sundance).

But nope. I got Firefly! One of the Pegasus ponies from G1, and allegedly a bit of the inspiration for G4's Rainbow Dash:

Even her wings are jointed, so they can "flap out" or fold in close to her body.



There's a mini-regional assembly (for the SE OK area Disciples tomorrow) in Sulphur. At first I was going to go but now I don't know - I'm still kind of tired and allergy ridden, and it would mean driving over there AND PROBABLY BACK IN THE DARK (because of the time-change). IF someone else says, "oh, ride with us!" I will go, but I think I might beg off otherwise, just on the grounds that I'm tired and my allergies were bad and it's been a rough week. I know I SHOULD go, but there are also people who are far less busy than I am who COULD go....I don't know. Maybe I wait and see how I feel tomorrow....

No comments: