Thursday, September 21, 2017

a new cap

I don't wear caps often - mostly just for fieldwork (and this one is kind of nice so maybe I don't use it for fieldwork where it gets grubby and sweaty).

(Sadly, I don't go to many baseball games or other places that you wouldn't get dirty but might want a cap to keep the sun out of your eyes).

But JSTOR - whom I follow on Twitter, because I'm a big nerd - was offering logo caps for sale and I decided I wanted one:





It's a little big on me, even with the velcro in the back adjusted down.

Anyway. Maybe this is my "Make Journal Searching Easy Again" cap?

(JSTOR, for those unfamiliar, is a WONDERFUL database containing .pdf files of articles from a great many - perhaps most - journals. It means I can search the literature without leaving my office and it also means I rarely have to but interlibrary loan for articles any more. It's also amazingly fast, considering when I was first doing journal searches (circa 1990 or so) I had to use the bound, printed Biological Abstracts and essentially devote an entire day or two JUST to article searching - something I can now do in a few minutes. And no dropping the Biological Abstracts books on my toes and breaking them like happened once.)


Today was in a lot of ways kind of a cruddy day (didn't get much done, it was just hot and miserable, there was some bad news locally) but this arriving makes it a little better.



No comments: