Wednesday, August 23, 2017

strangely comforting thing

And maybe a little regressive, I don't know, though it wasn't something I did as a kid.

The other night I had set my two relatively-newly-purchased G3 ponies (Toola Roola and Sew-and-Sew) out on my piano and I thought, "Their hair looks a little messy." So I took the small comb that had come with one of the more-vintage G1s I bought and combed out their hair.

It was....oddly soothing. The hair wasn't badly tangled, just a little disarranged, but smoothing it out and getting all the color blocks to stand out cleanly (both of these ponies have multicolored hair, the different colors are in "chunks") was comforting.

Maybe I see the popularity of the "brushables" now. Maybe this is kind of like those fidget spinner things (which I would find annoying to watch) for me.

I decided last night to dig out the stuffed Coco Pommel I had. Her hair had got distressingly tangled (that's the problem with the stuffed toys with dollyhair: unless you leave them sitting very still on a shelf, the hair gets tangled. Even just having them sitting on a bed where you move them out of the way when you go to sleep tangles the hair).

That took more work, and the tiny comb wasn't the best tool for it. I need to, maybe, invest in a very wide-tooth human-sized comb and use that for the bigger ponies' hair.

But I fixed it. It just takes time. And kind of like long, tangled human hair, you have to start at the END (not the scalp) and do it bit by bit, kind of "massaging out" the tangles when you get to them.

I decided I didn't want that to happen again, so I took a couple of hair-thingies I had bought but not used (one a simple elastic, the other a "flower shaped" yellow thing). I kind of wound up her tail and secured it with the elastic, and did a simple updo with her mane and used the yellow flower thing to hold it. She actually looks really cute with her hair up. (I did similar to Starlight Glimmer shortly after getting her, knowing how badly Coco's hair had tangled).

But anyway. That was how I calmed myself down last night. (I had to bake the jam bars, and that was kind of a horrorshow: the new bag of powdered sugar, I don't know if they seal them up under a vacuum or what, but it seems like when I open them, no matter how carefully I cut the bag, I wind up with puffs of powdered sugar EVERYWHERE. I confess, I didn't clean the kitchen last night, which may have been a bad move ("Do you want ants? Because this is how you get ants!") but I was tired and kind of fed up by the time I got them out of the oven.

No comments: