Thursday, July 14, 2016

I'm essentially done...

I guess I feel a little more anticipatory towards next week's meetings, I don't know.

I finished virtually all the material for my classes today. I COULD have banked on those two days of the last week of classes to conclude the stuff but instead I posted it and told them to look at it and study it, thus fulfilling the "arrangements are made to cover class" stuff that is technically part of the gig. (If we are absent for reason other than "emergency" (illness being an example of an emergency), we are told we should arrange to have the class covered in some way. Even if that absence is at the behest of someone more highly placed, deciding to send us to a meeting....I have had to promise reciprocity-in-kind to colleagues to get them to cover some of my classes)

I will confess that I am a little bit less discombobulated* about being absent next week than I might be, because:

a. Adjunct pay. If they decided to dock me a week's pay for being gone....eh, meh, I can earn it back by reviewing a chapter for the publisher I'm working with

b. More importantly: everything promised in the syllabus has been delivered, and in fact, in one class I covered some extra topics I normally NEVER get to. So they got more than they paid for and I suppose that means I definitely gave more than I got paid for.

(*but still am, some, because I possess a Twilight Sparkle nature where I must follow "the rules" lest I be sent back to Magical Kindergarten)

One thing off the docket: Apparently as there are no formal orders in place for my bloodwork, I "need to wait" until after my checkup of August 1. Fine with me. Gives me a few more days to work on a super healthy diet and now if I want to get something for dessert for tonight I can (I joked on Twitter, when I was in a dark mindset, "I picked the wrong week to give up sugar" riffing off the old joke from Airplane). And that makes my life easier tomorrow morning with having to plan for travel.

I do have to pack but laundry has been done. And I will get to see my parents, however briefly, while I'm at the meetings: they are being held in their town (so I get free room and board). And I do have Sunday before the meetings and Thursday morning before I get back on the train when I don't have to do anything, so maybe I get a chance to do a LITTLE knitting or run to a bookstore better than the ones around here.

And it's supposed to be at least 10 degrees cooler up there, and less humid. We are entering the Death March phase of the summer here so it's probably good to leave for a little while.

Sorry there will be no embargoed posts in my absence; summer teaching eats my life and also I think I had a bad bout of PMS-A this month, was very down and twitchy earlier this week and the calendar tells me that's not entirely unexpected. But it made me unable to do very much positive outside of the things I HAD to do.

No comments: