Thursday, June 16, 2016

Thursday afternoon things

* Interesting in-lab occurrence: I used the word "spigot" to refer to an outdoor water faucet (like you would attach a hose to) and at least one of the students did not know the word. And this is someone who is a good, well-rounded student. So now I'm wondering:

- American regionalism? (I am from the upper Midwest, many of my older relatives were influenced by Canadian English)
- Generational thing? (I am Gen-X but was raised by Silent Gen parents and my grandparents were....I don't know? Some of them were born at the very end of the 1800s, so I don't know what generation that is, and the student is 22)
- A word more commonly used in British English and I just read too many British books?

The funny thing was when she asked for an explanation, I had to struggle and finally said "outdoor water tap." (I am tired - Thursdays are gosh awful long days - and it is hot and humid here and I slept badly last night so my brain is set on "slow")

* My dad apparently fell again yesterday. He has one knee that buckles under him at times (the one he had operated on, too). It SOUNDS like he wasn't hurt too badly (landed on an elbow and his back, didn't hit his head) but still I do worry slightly. (He did not want my mom to tell me because "she'll worry" but I need to know these things). As both falls took place sort of in the same place, I am now lobbying my mom to get a handrail installed there. (And dangit, if I had known when I was up there? I would have tracked the construction guy down myself and paid for it if that was what it took).

I'll see if they call tonight with an update, otherwise I figure no news means it's nothing big.

* That's partly why I slept so badly last night. 2016 needs to stop beating up on people I care about.

* And I have a dilemma. I need to spend one "weekend" day in here laboring on my poster. It can be Friday or Saturday. Both days have advantages and drawbacks. The other day I decided I AM going to Sherman as I need a couple little lab supplies that the JoAnn's (yes) can supply, and also I just need to get out of town for a bit. (There is No New Pony Saturday - it's hiatus time - so that's not a consideration)

The pros of shopping Friday, working Saturday: I will be more rested Saturday after a day off. The stores may be less crowded. I feel like I need a break. If anything goes very wrong with my car (a worry in this extreme heat) getting help may be more of an option.

The cons: they turn down/off the AC in the building on weekends so Friday will be hot but Saturday may be hotter. If I come in and work Friday, then I can go shopping with a completely clear conscience. And we have a heat advisory that will be on tomorrow but MAY be lifted Saturday. Heat wears me out like nothing else.There's a church movie night (they are traveling to Sherman for it) Friday night and I admit it's a movie I'm not interested in seeing ("You before me") and it seems "easier" to me to give regrets (if anyone asks, this was an opt-in thing) by saying "I worked all day and I"m beat"


(I would TOTALLY go if they were going to the new "Jungle Book," but as it's entirely adults, I guess they're not interested in seeing a "kids'" movie. I want to see the new "Jungle Book" sometime - I've heard it's good and also Bill Murray as Baloo.....)

I may just wait and see how I feel first thing tomorrow, I don't know.

1 comment:

Charlotts said...

If you decide to go in on Saturday, it might be worthwhile to buy a bag of ice and have a fan blow over it to help cool off your work area. Years ago when I had a car that wasn't air conditioned, I had a cooler (foam one) with ice in it. The air from the vent blew over it and was pretty effective in cooling my car.