Thursday, April 07, 2016

working on stuff

* The crocheted "Oh" is almost done; I'm to the point where the shirt/sweater thing gets attached (it was also made separately and it put on before you close up the head.) I am going to have to think about how you do the eyes: the pattern is written for lock-washer eyes, which I have, but it seems to indicate putting them on AFTER the head is closed (they have felt backings that are then sewn down, but the posts seem like they'd be too long). I will have to think about it. My inclination is just to use black felt for the pupils (and then sew the whole eye on after the head is done) because otherwise I'd have to figure out where to put the eyes on a not-fully-complete head. Anyway, sometimes even with the washers on the back, lock-washer eyes pull out of knitted or crocheted critters so maybe felt makes more sense. And I certainly have experience with making felt eyes from all the ponies.

* Childhood memory thing: I will probably rewatch "Home" after I finish Oh. One of my favorite things as a small child was if I had a toy of a movie or cartoon character, was watching that show "with" the character (I mean, my toy of it).

* One thing I need to do tomorrow or Saturday is practice my talk a couple times. I have a half hour to speak but have a sinking suspicion I'm going to have to cut stuff out: I have 25 slides but many of them are photos (including the couple of photos I took that were good enough).

I confess, I'll be glad when this is over. I'm nervous it isn't good enough but I'm telling myself that it IS, and reminding myself of some of the rather dismal talks I've heard places in the past and that I know my worst is best than some of those talks.

* I also want to get back to Starbuck now that I see I'm close to dividing for the sleeves. I do need to make more time to work on these kinds of things. And I also want to get back to the quilt that is in the frame some time.

* Hot water heater is still fine, and if anything, I turned the dial up a little TOO hot - though that's okay, I figure natural gas is fairly cheap (the "delivery fee" is higher than the fee for gas for me most of the "warm" months) and I can always adjust with cold water in the shower or places. And I feel reassured that the guy gave it a once over and said "Nope, it's not failing."

Also my gut is some better this morning; am now wondering if this is just something I'll have to schedule for every other month or so for the rest of my time as a (potential) Selene until I reach the stage of Hecate. (I had to look that up. I was remembering the three Fates as playing those roles but apparently not). Knowing what it is goes a long way to being able to cope with it.

* From the "oops, I did it again" files: Ponies in the Sun got a new batch of G1 ponies in, and I had been saying, "I would like to get one of the early-gen Pegasus to go with the two Earth Ponies and the unicorn I have." So now "Heart Throb" (a v. pretty pale lavender pegasus) AND a "baby Surprise" are on their way to me.

I really need to get a little wall-shelf for these; having the shelf be full will tell me, "No more early-gen ponies." (But it's so tempting and her prices are low because the "accessories" - the hairbrushes and stuff - are lost from them, though I don't really care about those)

And yes, I know: my petty oeconomising (to keep the British spelling, as the phrase was originally from a Trollope novel). But looking over my recent credit card statements: I really HAVE been "oeconomising" and I think I can spend a little on fun things that make me happy.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

I've had months when I used maybe two, three bucks worth of gas and wound up with a bill in the $35 range.