Friday, April 08, 2016

Stuff I've done

* A couple weeks ago, a guy showed up to my office (as is typical of these things, five minutes before I had to leave for class). He said, "They told me in the office you were someone who could identify bugs."

So I kind of sighed and asked him what he had.

He handed me a piece of notebook paper. To which he had taped several bedbugs in different stages of development. (Luckily, they were dead, but still, my skin crawled for a while afterward). He said they were from his apartment.

I said, "These are bedbugs."

He said, "But I'm not getting any bites"

I said, "I'm really pretty sure those are bedbugs" and directed him to the local Extension Agent for assistance.

But yeah, my skin crawled a little for the rest of the day.

(I'm glad I ended my adventures in living-where-you-share-a-wall-with-a-stranger before bedbugs became a big thing)

(Edited to add: it's a LOT more fun talking to people who get dog-vomit fungus in their lawns and are freaked out by it. First, because most people are amused when I tell them that it really IS called dog-vomit fungus, and second, because it's harmless - it's just a decomposer and it won't hurt the lawn or garden)

* I washed my car over the weekend and by yesterday it was covered in fine yellow dust. So while I was gassing up the car, I wrote "pollen" in the dust on one of the fenders with my finger.

Yeah, I'm kind of a nerd.

* A recent comment I made on ITFF: "When everyone knows that SEMICOLONS are how Smart People write."

* This, from Twitter:

How I feel every time I pull a glass stir rod out of the drawer


(I kind of want to print that out and tape it to the drawer where we keep the stir rods)

No comments: