Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Tuesday afternoon random

* I have at least the bones of a couple of small projects I can do. One is a pilot project that could grow into something much bigger (especially if I decide not to teach summer 2017 - they cut our pay for THIS summer after we'd already committed to teach, and that feels a little....problematic....even given the fact that we're in bad budget times, so I said "this might be my last summer of teaching")

* I talked with a colleague and he suggested a couple places I could apply to for funding. One, if they do small grants, would be particularly promising, as the project is very closely related to their mission. And if nothing else they will be a place I can publish results.

* So I feel a little better. He also reminded me that given the increased pressures in re: teaching (the fact that a lot of us carry an overload), he couldn't see us being dinged TOO badly for reduced scholarly productivity. I hope he's right.

* I just need to sit down and write up ideas of stuff and use the Anne Lamotte "SFD"* method and then later go in and add in the citations and such for the more promising ones.

(* (Bleepy) First Draft. It's from "Bird by Bird," which is helpful for people who need to write, not just writing fiction or essays. There are a number of things in there useful for science writers too. I find the Bleepy First Draft works really well for me because it helps me break through my perfectionism (which often leads to me staring at a blank paper) and write SOMETHING)

* So tonight I am giving myself permission to watch tv and knit. I've been swapping from project to project when I have time. Last night I spent a little time on the Antarktis shawl, which I guess I haven't photographed in progress. Maybe tonight it will be the basketweave socks.

* Lavender oil mixed with peppermint oil (I used a bit of Neutrogena's "body oil" as the carrier - you have to dilute the full strength oils) does seem to work on headaches. Except now my temples feel cold from the peppermint. I might make up a second little bottle of this and take it over to school - as I said, I'm trying to avoid NSAIDs because I don't want to get gastritis again.

* I got the last chapters of the textbook review sent off today, which makes me feel good as well. (Also, I earn $200 for my evaluation, corrections, and opinions).

* Not sure what I will spend it on when the check comes. But it's nice to have some money I can just earmark for "fun stuff."

* And one of my colleagues asked me to serve on the Master's committee for a student of his, that is definitely something else I can put on my CV. I just need to keep thinking of all the "little" things I do, I tend to forget about those.

No comments: