Saturday, February 13, 2016

Stocking back up

It was good to have the time (and energy, again, and not be having periodic stomach cramping) to go to Sherman to obtain stuff I needed: more cans of the "good kind" of salmon I use (I think I'm going to make another salmon loaf soon). And some good ground beef (I was gonna get bison but the packages were smaller and I was afraid they wouldn't work with the recipe, so I got grass-fed beef instead).

And more epsom salts for my dry itchy skin, and more of the oddly-expensive "hippie" shampoo (a coconut based one for dry hair: it's expensive enough to make me wince but it is good for my hair).

And the knitting magazines. And I got a copy of the English version of the Cardcaptor Sakura omnibus and have at least glanced at it. Two observations:

1. I know it's a cultural difference, but the whole very-young-girl having a giant crush on a high-school senior is ever so slightly creepy to me. (Oh, I had little crushes when I was a young girl, but they were pretty much always on boys my own age, that I knew from being in class with them. My two friends who had older brothers, those older brothers were either "gross" (in one case) or kind of distant and already grown-up seeming (in the other - he was almost ready to go into the Navy by the time I knew him)

2. Kero, who is sort of Sakura's guide in all of this, is described as having a "slight Osaka accent" which rendered in English as being a little bit like a Brooklyn accent. So now in my head I hear him as sounding slightly like Bugs Bunny, which is sort of amusing. (I think it's more like he's supposed to sound like a "tough guy cop" on a cop show).

It seems like a cute fantasy story. As I said, I've only read a few pages into it.

I also picked up some more acrylic yarn. The first one was a goofy, barber-pole-ombre of bright pastels. I don't know what I will make with it but I just liked it. My first thought was to do a goofy, rainbow-coated Pony with it* but I might look through my dragon patterns and do a silly rainbow-scaled dragon instead.

I also bought some yellow and dark green: I decided I like the idea of Sylvie Culture well enough that she needs to exist in three dimensions. I got a pale yellow - it's a color called "cornmeal" and is as close as I could get to what I think of as "pine pollen color," which is how I envisoned her color. And I'm not totally in love with the second green I bought; I might sub a cream or white for it in her parti-colored mane.

I do have to finish Maud first - and I got the grosgrain I need for her dress sash.

(*I think part of my deep and abiding love of making Ponies, in addition to the fact that the Friends Forever Fawn is a pleasing size and shape to hold, is that I love bright colors of yarn and most animals you make toys of, you "have" to make them "normal animal colors" and I get bored of browns and grays. (I know you don't "Have" to, but doing a cartoony animal from a cartoon with a precedent of unnatural colors seems more permissible)

I also got lunch out. I waffled on this, thinking, "Maybe you should just wait until you get home and eat something less heavy and milder" - I am still worried about inflaming my stomach again although things are mostly ok. (I have a little discomfort upon first getting up but that could as likely be catarrh from allergies). But I decided: this is the time to try it; you'll have all afternoon to sit up and also if you feel iffy tomorrow, you only have church to worry about. So I got barbecue.

And I found out you can order a "sandwich sized" serving of barbecue, ask for "no bread," and they knock 40 cents off the already less-expensive price, and you get a more manageable serving size. So I had pulled pork and applesauce and baked beans. So far it seems to be sitting fine so hopefully I am done with having an irritable stomach.

Then, when I got home, I found a big puffy envelope in my mailbox. A glance at the sender's address told me that it was the Coco Pommel that was supposed to get here a couple weeks from now. At first I thought, "I'll just put this away unopened until my birthday" but then I thought, "But what if the wrong thing was sent, or something is wrong with it?" (I know, something big like her having only one eye would probably have been caught by the sender before he shipped it out, but....). So I quickly opened the mailer and checked, but then decided to put her back until my birthday. (She is about the same size as the Aurora Rarity I bought a couple years ago, so she should be a good size to sew for if I decide I want to).

No comments: