Tuesday, February 09, 2016

It's Pancake Day!

I decided to go with the pre-Lenten celebration closest to my own ethnic heritage. So I'm going to make pancakes for dinner tonight.

I don't fast for Lent, so this isn't a way of using up eggs and milk, but it is a little nod to my heritage.

(I guess I could also go with whatever the Germans do? I don't know what that is. I bet Bavaria has something as they tend to be more predominantly Catholic - and it seems Catholics do pre-Lent bigger than Protestants do).

Not up for cajun/Creole food so pancakes sound good. (And I'm off donuts; after I ate that fake paczki was when I got the stomach virus and while I'm sure the two are unrelated, still....sometimes you get weird aversions to things).

I am going to TRY for Lent to give up worrying about the future. Both my specific future (this whole post-tenure review thing; all I can do is work hard and hope it's enough) and the future in general (I have almost no influence on who is elected to lead this nation into the future and I will also observe I don't find myself excited by any of the candidates; they all have negatives). Rather, I'm going to focus on working, planning my summer research (I have an idea, which is good), maybe getting a bit more knitting done, and generally trying to gather up the "time confetti*" that seems to happen to busy people in place of big stretches of leisure time and do things like knit a row or two now and then instead of faffing around for the five or ten minutes I have free)

(*I saw that phrase in an article - it was about "Time is a Feminist Issue" though I would argue that time is really a human issue, and it seems as many of the men I know as the women have their free time "contaminated" by various concerns ranging from caretaking to having to be "more available" at work. The idea of "time confetti" is that for a lot of us, our free time has been effectively put through a shredder and we get 10 or 20 minutes here and there rather than big blocks, and I can really feel that on weeks with evening meetings: I come home but can't fully relax because I will have to go back out, and moreover, I will have to be sure my preparatory needs for the next day are done before I go out....)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Anyone who actually wants to be president cannot be trusted with the job. I forget who it was who said something like that but not exactly, but it seems to be true.