Monday, February 08, 2016

Doki Doki unboxing

Quickly, before I have to leave for Meeting #3....

My Doki Doki box came today. It did not disappoint and I think I'll stay subscribed for at least a few more months because this is exactly the little kind of cheer-up I need. And there were several items in the box that are actually *useful,* as you will see.

So, first off, the box, with bonus guest Coco Pommel for scale:

DokiDoki!

Not shown but in tiny print on the back of the box, it says "We love you"

Awww, Doki Doki! I love you, too. (I may be a little quick to give my heart away sometimes)

Anyway, here it is on first opening:

what's in it

Some kind of cute smiling thing, what looks like a No Face (and it is), a gashopon container, a couple of blind boxes, some little stuff....

Here it is with a few items removed. You can see the No Face tiny stuffie - the idea here is "What if No Face had a cute animal face under the scary No Face mask?" SO he's pushed the mask to one side and you can see his "cute" face:

some of the stuff - No Face

There are also a couple of little bookmarks in there - both on the "clip and string" principle, where you clip the clip to the rear cover of the book, and then the string holds your place. I need a couple of these. Though I'm not sure if it's too much cognitive dissonance to have the super-cute bunny rabbit charm peeking out of "The Lucifer Effect" (which I am still reading. It's kind of depressing but I'm hoping to eventually get to the "unwitting hero" part of the analysis). There's also a set of post-it flags in the shape of pigs. (The particular set is apparently called "Fitness." Um, okay.)

This is my single favorite item from the crate:

Jiji!

A nice big plush coin-purse of Jiji's head (Jiji is the cat in Kiki's Delivery Service). It's super cute and well-made. And while I perhaps am a bit too possessing of age and gravitas to walk around with a Jiji coin purse, it will make a very handy and just-about-perfect knitting accessory pouch - easily big enough to hold a measuring tape, and the small snips I use when carting knitting around, and a row-counter, and a little container of stitch markers, and even a cable needle if needed.

Also, this made me laugh:

Gutedama

It's Gutedama, the lazy egg! (The little yellow guy is the yolk part, the white part is his "bed"). This is one of those weird San-X type characters that is both odd and endearing.

And the two blind boxes:

blindbox figures

A super-sad little cat (it has holes in the front by its eyes; I think you can fill it with water and it will "cry") and a Cardcaptor Sakura figurine. (I am not that familiar with Cardcaptor Sakura. I have heard of it, maybe I will have to look up the manga if it exists in American translation. Apparently it's a story line aimed at young girls, with the cute primary-school girl in it and her flying teddy bear (? Or is it like a hamster?) friend. The smiling yellow plushie in the earlier photo is apparently this character...His name is Kero or Keroberus depending on what resource you look at.)

1 comment:

Don said...

The Cardcaptor Sakura manga is available in English, though I haven't read it. There is also an animated version, which is a lot of fun and is an old favorite. You can watch it here. (As is usually the case, the subtitled version is preferable to the English dub.)