Wednesday, January 20, 2016

that escalated quickly

Today started off fine - got up, did my full workout, dressed, packed lunch, came to work.

But: Cold in the building, especially the classroom part (apparently the power outage messed up the boiler). Then I found out that I had forgot some stuff out in a lab room where my colleague had taught and I felt bad about that. Went in, found that he had left some glassware out to dry and I thought I'd be helpful and put it away before MY afternoon lab, but it turned out I put it in the wrong place and so later had to go help him get it back out so he could put it in the RIGHT place.

And I found out that Telecomm, in their ongoing saga of wiring us for anti-theft (or rather: detection of theft after the fact) cameras has left giant spools of cable and two very large, folded-up ladders in my prep room. They take up more than 50% of the floor space and while trying to get out my lab supplies, I tripped over one of the ladders and then got tangled up in some loose cable.

I am NOT happy. A lot of this is just little stupid stuff, but it's precisely the little stupid stuff that drives me mad because (a) it's disorder that keeps me from doing what I want to (I really need to clean that prep room, but with all that other stuff in there, I can't - I'm afraid of tripping over a ladder and breaking an ankle) and (b) the feeling I have let someone down, like with the glassware thing (which also originated because my colleague needs separate glassware that is "clean" because my students are not very good at washing glassware. And we don't have a dishwasher so my choice is to put up with dirty glassware (and tell them to rewash it before they use it again) or for me to take the time AFTER class and re-wash it myself, which I just don't want to do. (Add that many Monday and Wednesday afternoons I have meetings off campus, meaning any extra time spent here doesn't work)

And all of this is on top of my worrying about the budget cuts and wondering how much longer our jobs will exist.

So this is how I feel:







Yeah. I want to go back home and curl up in a blanket. And cats don't knit, but I would like to knit. But I can't, because I have to adult.

No comments: