Wednesday, January 20, 2016

better and worse

The better:

1. One of the lecture rooms actually had heat and was not used during the 1-3 pm slot, so I was able to hold lab in there. Much, much better than the borderline-icy lab room.

2. My chair tells me that the camera set-up is, in fact, done, and she is going to call the guys about moving their stuff out of my prep room so I can clean it and, you know, have access to the stuff I will need when Soils lab cranks up for real.

3. Today is done and I don't have to go back out tonight.

The worse:

one of the older ladies I know from church - not well, but well enough to regard as a friend - died. She had been in the hospital with mixed problems and just decided to give up, I guess - people were talking about how she had quit eating. The one thing I will remember about her was that she was the only person I knew who was not fond of hand-shaking and was adamant enough about it to refuse, so we all just learned to bump elbows with her or wave to her. I don't know if it was an arthritis issue (some people I know have crushing handshakes. I have toned mine down in recent years; when I was on the job market someone advised me to have a strong handshake and I do have strong hands) or if it was a germ issue or what.

arrangements are still "pending." If I am not in class at the time of the funeral, I will go, and if the lunch is on a day when I can help out, I will (or if not, maybe I can make a dish to take ahead of time).

But yeah. 2016, haven't you already claimed enough lives? At least for January? Someone needs to get the Grim Reaper onto decaf.

No comments: