Friday, December 11, 2015

Two finished things

First off: I finished Frost Flower last night.

frost flower 2

I had to play with the white balance on my camera! It's hard to photograph something that's nearly pure white without the flash totally washing it out - and it's kind of dim (foggy) here today, so I had to try using flash.

I used the "school-aged pony" pattern from here. It's a good pattern - easy to work, nothing too crazy or complicated. There is a lot of sewing up at the end but it makes a nice, sturdy, satisfyingly-shaped little pony. (She also has a "grown up" pony pattern there - I've never made it, but it looks like a good one, too)

frost flower, no flash

This is maybe a better photo of her face. This is smaller than my "standard" pony so it was a challenge to get the face right.

You can see how small she is:

it's dangerous to go alone



This is a totally made-up character in the style of My Little Ponies. Even though she is a filly, she has already found her "special talent" - she can use her unicorn magic to make frost (hence her name*). So presumably she will work with the weather ponies and will do the frosting of windows in the winter.

But I think she can also do other things involving cooling or frost, as in, "Frost Flower, honey, my lemonade isn't cool enough, could you cool it down a little?" And she'd never burn her mouth on whatever the Equestrian equivalent of pizza is.'

So her "cutie mark" or "butt symbol" is a snowflake:

butt symbol

That's a button, and darn but it wasn't hard to attach - even though it's a "standard" two hole button.

Also, I have headcanoned that there are really no of what we call "special snowflakes" sometimes in Equestria. (A "special snowflake" is someone who is extremely demanding and picky, and who expects things far beyond their deserts. Think of someone who always sends food back at the restaurant, and asks for all the sauces and dressings on the side, and could they leave the tomatoes out of the salad? and the steak isn't done enough and gets sent back several times until it is TOO done....) Though perhaps Spoiled Rich might be one, and Diamond Tiara might have those tendencies....

(*Big philosophical hole in the Ponyverse, I think: How do parents ponies pre-know the talent of their newborns? In many cases, the name seems to be very reflective of the talent, or of their eventual mark. I think if I were making up the universe I'd have the ponies be given one name at birth, and then take on another - kind of like how some Christian groups do baptismal names or confirmation names - when they do figure out their talent)

frost flower 3

The body yarn is Caron Simply Soft, the hair is a Bernat baby yarn in a "twist" design - white and pale blue. (It's a little hard to see the blue in the photos).


After break, I will probably use this same pattern for a Diamond Tiara, I already have the yarn I need.

Also: We could use a Frost Flower today, it's supposed to hit nearly 80. I don't know how to deal with that in December, and also, we are likely to have big storms tomorrow afternoon (and guess when graduation, which I am expected to go to, is?)

So I won't be wearing this:

cowl

That's the finished (and blocked, and wow, did it take a long time to dry - it's been humid) cowl. I used an Alicia Goes Around fingering weight for it.  It took maybe half the skein for the cowl. I didn't want to make it TOO long, but I wanted to make it long enough that I could pull it up over my mouth and nose if that became necessary on a very cold day.

No comments: