Friday, December 11, 2015

AcornOnline is Terrible

Okay, I'm taking to the Internet to see if I can get this fixed. AcornOnline is one of those catalog retailers kind of like Signals or Wireless, but they seem REALLY poorly organized.

Back in October, on October 30, I ordered what WAS to be my mother's Christmas gift. I THOUGHT the order went through but on the webpage was told that the item was back ordered to December 1.

Then I realized later: I had no record of that order actually going through. Tried going to the webpage, could not find it. So I re-ordered on December 2. That one went through and I got the confirmation.

Then, today, I get an e-mail about the original order: "It's backordered and won't come right away"

This was the FIRST news I had that that order EVER went through. So now I have TWO of the same item on order (backorder). I tried calling the place, and got a message that due to high call volume, they couldn't answer my call, and, click.

I have e-mailed them but I am NOT happy. They dropped the ball the first time not letting me know my order had gone through.

(I tried calling back and am now on hold waiting on a representative to see if I can iron this out. But. Not happy, will NOT be ordering from AcornOnline again.)



UPDATE: It looks like it's sorted but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out with my upcoming credit card statement to be sure I don't get charged twice. I'm also unhappy about the extended backorder, seems we see that more and more these days and I don't know if it's because the economic slowdown means less shipping of stuff coming from overseas, so businesses don't restock as often - I also find that a lot of grocery stores seem to be bad at restocking and they don't even (usually) have the from-overseas issue. But, gah, is this going to be something we deal with more as the "new normal"? No local sources for things and when you try to mail-order, you can't get it?

Also edited to add: I ordered a "back up" gift for her off of Amazon (so I'd have SOMETHING FOR HER TO OPEN ON CHRISTMAS if the original gift didn't arrive. She said it didn't matter to her but dangit, it matters to ME). That gift has already arrived, she told me the box came and the sender's address (it was from a third party seller) matches the seller I bought it from. But grah arr. I won't be ordering from Acorn again because of how badly they seem to have dropped the ball here. I suppose maybe they're overwhelmed but honestly.

1 comment:

diann said...

I tend to think that the fact that things are back-ordered is a sign of better than expected sales! It could, of course, be "just in time" stocking too, which is incredibly popular in Silicon Valley - no excess inventory tying up financial resources, no overstocking on items that don't sell, etc.

Sorry Acorn Online was a disappointment for you. I've bought from them for years without any issues.