Thursday, December 03, 2015

Thursday afternoon stuff

* Well, the FSBO sign is gone from my neighbor's yard. Either they sold the house extremely fast (and I didn't see anyone being shown the house, however, I wasn't home a lot of the time this week), or they're going with a Realtor later on. Or, dare I hope - they've decided not to move away?

I do know once when I was a kid our much loved neighbors had a for-sale sign show up in their yard briefly. Turns out someone put it there as a joke (a dumb and bizarre joke) and I was relieved to learn it was.

* There's been essentially no heat in my building this week and I found out why at faculty meeting today - a new boiler was installed this fall, right? Because the old one was found to be in violation of several safety requirements?

Well, apparently the boiler is either defective or they sent the wrong instruction manual; when the Physical Plant guys tried to start it up, the instructions didn't work.

Yeah, that's kind of the Facepalm of the week. It's kind of funny, would be funnier if it were warmer than 55 F in my office. At least I only have to be over there for four or five hours tomorrow; I can come home to do my grading at lunch time.

I'm really hoping they get it sorted (allegedly a call is in to the manufacturer) before January - typically our coldest month.

* During the meeting, my chair used the phrase "Believe it or not..." (in reference to WHY there was no heat) and my mind blipped to this silly thing:



Luckily, I was able to withhold laughing until she delivered the genuinely funny punchline about the instructions for turning the boiler on being wrong. 

(And Because Rule 85, here is the Rainbow Dash version:


)

* There's going to be a huge administrative shake-up here. As I suspected, most of the people eligible for early retirement were administrators. (No one in my department was, but one person who teaches a few cognate classes is, though it's not clear if she's gonna take it). I'm not sure how I feel about this - on the one hand, change makes me uncomfortable but on the other, a few of these are folks who have....well, how do I put it diplomatically? Been a bit of a stumbling-block? Does that work?

Also, if they can streamline the bureaucracy and save some money, that will be a net good. (Though at least one of the people retiring is someone I've always had positive interactions with so I'm a little sorry to see that person go.)


* Working away on Frost Flower. She's going to be TINY. I have no idea why I thought she'd be bigger than my other ponies - she will definitely be filly-size next to Fluttershy. I'm hoping I get her done soon; she may turn out to be one of my "comfort objects" I tuck in my carry on when I travel in about 10 days.

I also may use the same pattern later for a Diamond Tiara; I have all the colors of yarn I would need for her. (And I think her "redemption" is more likely - and was more satisfying to me - than Starlight Glimmer's was. I hope we get to see Diamond figuring out how to be a friend to her friends in Season Six.)

* I'm already thinking about over-break projects. I have a few ongoing things I want to make, and I bought a Barbara Prime pattern for a yeti/sasquatch (it comes with a cute beret; I think I am going to make the yeti, have her be a girl, and make her a beret. There is also a backpack, maybe she will get a backpack too and be a schoolgirl yeti).

And I want to wind off the yarn for the Scottish Thistle Shawl which I've had plans to do for at least 10 years now.

Not sure what else but if I can fit the Hagrid Sweater in I may make an actual push to finish that.

* I really need break. I need time thinking less about "the future of higher ed in America" or "the problems specific to my campus" or "what is going on in the world" and more time thinking about "Do I want to make tiny British-style mincemeat pies in place of one of the cookie recipes I make?" and "Is this the year my mom and I finally get around to making the homemade marshmallows we keep talking about doing at Christmas" and "What projects do I want to work on"

* Weather is going to be good Saturday so I think I will do at least some shopping. (I may avoid downtown Sherman, apparently they're having some kind of Holiday Do, which means the limited parking will be even harder to get).

Really, I mainly want to see if there are any affordable "vintage" Christmas decorations on offer but I suspect this is the wrong time of year to look for them; they will probably be priced accordingly. Well, I can at least look even if I decide not to buy.

No comments: