Monday, October 26, 2015

Monday morning things

* I am almost totally better. There was a lunch at church yesterday and I was able to eat - the sweet potato casserole I made, and some lima beans, and cheese grits, and a tiny piece of ham (I know, I know: but I'm so careful otherwise). And a big piece of chocolate cake one of the people who bakes made. And I felt fine afterward, so I guess I've finally beaten the virus. (There were other side dishes, but several of them looked suspicious for containing celery. The lima beans were just plain beans with parsley and maybe a little garlic on them, and of course few people make grits with celery in them)

(And before you ask: It had been 48 hours since I had a fever and the general rule seems to be 24 hours with no fever and you are no longer contagious. So I didn't feel like Typhoid Mary bringing food to the thing.)

I was a little disappointed there was only one small serving of my sweet potatoes left over; I made a 9 x 13 pan on the hopes I could have some for the rest of the week. Oh well. At least that means people thought they were good.

* Water is still hot. And I think the guy may have turned the thermostat on the heater up slightly from where I had it. I'm not sure I want to mess with it to turn it down but the child-raised-in-the-70s in me is screaming about "energy conservation!" Then again, I have a gas water heater and they are cheaper to run than electric ones are. (They may also be more efficient? I don't know. This one doesn't seem to have to kick on very often, usually only after I shower or run a load on hot through the washing machine).

* I spent most of the weekend knitting on a dress made of sockyarn for one of my Monster High dolls. I also kind of figured out a pattern for a pair of knickers, but they came out a little low-riderish. I'm making another dress now....the fun thing of these is that they're such a small commitment of time and yarn, and also you don't have to worry as much about fit (at least, in the sense, "Can the wearer move comfortably in it?") as for people-clothes, and I'm seeing how I can alter the existing patterns to make different things....I have a silly little goal of having wooly dresses for all four of the girls (ghouls? - Monster High tends to do excruciating puns) by Hallowe'en, but considering that Pandora and Maureen have their dresses already, and I'm more than half done with Frankie's....that seems doable. I think I'm going to do a different style for Draculaura - I think I have a strapless one in my Ravelry library, and I see now how I can alter the top of the sleeved dress to make a little bolero top to go over a sleeveless dress.

The funny thing - I don't know if it's the fact that the dresses are handmade, or if it's my sense of style, but when I changed Maureen out of the short shiny commercial dress she was in into the knitted dress, she looked much younger - like she went from a 19 year old getting ready to go clubbing to a 14 year old getting ready to go ice skating. (Part of that might be, as I said, I had a hard time negotiating the "more mature" teen years, knowing how to act or what to do - I would much rather be a 14 year old getting ready to go ice skating than a 19 year old getting ready to go clubbing).

I'll take a picture later and post it.

Also, none of the accessories I have for her match with the dress; I might have to dig into my small stash of beads and make her a necklace or something.

Making doll clothes is fun. I'm hoping maybe my niece eventually gets interested in some kind of doll that is fun to sew or knit for so I can make doll clothes for it. (Right now she's more interested in playing with cars, and that's fine, but....I would like to be able to make doll clothes for her some day)

No comments: