Wednesday, October 14, 2015

*fall break intensifies*

I am so, so ready for a short break. I originally had plans of coming in Thursday and working but then I worked at home yesterday afternoon, I wrote my next exam and went through the next chapter of stuff for the class where I'm having to redo things, so I'm in pretty good shape.

And I e-mailed the journal editor about the reviewer's cryptic request I reformat the tables (no direction as to what was wrong with them was given). Editor's response: "whatever is wrong with the tables will get ironed out in typesetting, don't worry about it." So ALL I need to do now is write up the response to the reviewers' comments (essentially: I pretty much did everything they asked for - it was all reasonable and it did improve the paper). I am SUPER excited to have this come out. Yes, it's a smaller journal with a smaller circulation but I don't really care at this point because when I was in the middle of slogging on the writeup I felt like I didn't even have enough meaningful data to MAKE a paper, but apparently I did. And I really did a pretty decent job of writing it.

I do need to e-mail or PM Laura and make sure of times and stuff for Friday. (She does tax work and tomorrow is a big deadline so I know she's busy right now). But if everything works as it should, Friday I will be on my way to Longview to look at yarn and maybe books and to eat lunch out. I NEED to get out of town badly. Ooh, and there's a Michael's there. I did find a crochet pattern for a "filly" I could probably convert into Diamond Tiara (yes, after her "conversion" I now kind of want a DT stuffie) so I might look for yarn. And I still have the idea of doing "Frost Flower," but now I'm thinking of doing her as a filly pony....I like the idea of a little filly unicorn whose magic skill is making the frost on windowpanes. (Yes. I have too many projects. But the thing is, when I'm planning a million projects, that means I'm content and happy. When I can't think of anything that grabs my attention, that's when I'm really down)

Tomorrow, I think I might - if I can motivate myself - clean up my house; it needs it. And maybe try to do extensive cleaning and clearing out of my bedroom with the thought of MAYBE finally getting that ceiling fan/light replaced in the coming weeks. And do some sewing on the current quilt. (And photograph the fabrics-for-trade, Purlewe - I have not forgotten that). And I might take my couple of big boxes (Princess Celestia's box and the box that a friend from Ravelry RAKed me with*) and fill them up with "discard books" with the thought of eventually taking them SOMEWHERE. (We don't seem to have Books for a Better World drop boxes around here but I could ask the librarian what she recommends - they might even have a way at the library of either donating them or turning them into money to buy books and stuff for the library. We don't have a "friends" group at the university library so we don't do book sales through there. (we tried to start one, but I'm not up to organizing and running it, and that looks like what it would take. Well, maybe after I retire, if universities and libraries both still exist)

Saturday I tentatively plan to go to BPAFF in Sherman, unless I'm (a) really exhausted from Friday or (b) totally broke after Friday. (Note to self: get to bank. I'm going to do a rare withdrawal-from-savings to fund this trip. I have a nice chunk of money in there and once or twice a year I allow myself to take out $200 or so just to spend. I mean, just to spend on fun stuff - I do also use savings to fund things like emergencies. It earns a TINY amount of interest and checking does not, so I keep most of my liquid money in there). Also after going to BPAFF I could do grocery shopping and be ready for the coming week.

Sunday is going to be a day of rest after church; maybe to do some sewing. Maybe make a batch of soup or a homemade pizza. I haven't been cooking enough.

(*I was whining on the Pointy board last week after someone said something that kind of hurt my feelings, and I guess it was my turn for a treat - people do that from time to time, I once put together a "care package" for someone who felt down because circumstances were preventing her from celebrating her birthday in a very fun way. And I often randomly buy patterns for people, which is very easy to do on Ravelry. My friend sent me a "tattoo Fluttershy" (these are the Pony figures you can paste stickers on and color with markers), and a bunch of little knitted toy animals (including a squirrel named Phteven - "Steven with a ph," like the Internet joke) AND a copy of the Tolkein translation of Beowulf, which I think will be my next "hard read" after I finish Moby-Dick.)


1 comment:

purlewe said...

I am in no rush for the pics of fabric. I am working on a yellow/green/purple quilt right now (not anywhere near done with it) and the red/orange/yellow one isn't due to be done until next year. the hexie one is on indefinite hiatus. so really don't hurry yourself for me.

Want anything from Rhinebeck? I work a booth but can get out for a quick jaunt and get you something.