Tuesday, September 15, 2015

And coming up

One other thing I did Saturday was pick up the two most recent quilts from the quilt shop. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

I do have to clear some stuff out of my sewing room first. Rooms I'm not currently "using" tend to be where the accumulated magazines or other things wind up, and so now I have a stack of stuff on my sewing-room chair and also on my cutting table.

I also need to get back to the top I started before going on break. It's just hard to find time during the semester to work on these kinds of things. Maybe I need to re-initiate the "Sundays are for Sewing" where I spend the afternoon after church working on a quilt or some other sewing project. (It seems easier to pick up and put down knitting during the week. Also, after dark, the sort-of blank windows staring out of the sewing room creep me out a little.)

I also bought a kit for a little stuffed dragon toy from an Etsy shop advertised on Super Cute Kawaii and I want to get to that some time soon.


****
It's weird not being able to eat breakfast (the bloodwork is this morning). I'm not *hungry,* I rarely am first thing in the morning but it's a break in the routine and I dislike breaks in routine. And even beyond my probably-unfounded concerns, it's not fun having a date with a needle.

(Also, I am really hoping that I get a call within a couple days saying everything looks good so I can go back to eating more-normally for me.)

****

And one of those sad-strange things that seems to be a part of Life Today - news came across (I first saw it on ITFF) of a shooting at Delta State University -  a professor was shot and killed while sitting in his office. Horrifying. And of course, with these things, it's hard to get information. When I got home I tried the various news channels but no, CNN was pimping the fact that they have the next Republican debate, the other channels were interviewing one candidate or another. The OKC channel (the only one with 4 pm news) of course was too distant for anyone there to care.....

Well, turns out this morning the shooter killed himself; he also apparently killed his girlfriend, and some are speculating there was a love triangle thing going on.

I don't know. I admit the idea of this kind of thing creeps me out. It really IS like people are forgetting how to work things out without resorting to violence. And yeah, I'm sure there are more complex things involved here, but.....it's just so strange and sad. (And the curse of a good imagination: "What would you do if you looked up from your desk and there was someone standing in the doorway with a weapon?" I admit I have a harder time concentrating on my work when my office door is open (like during office hours) because I always expect someone to come up - and I hear all the noise from the hall. (No, closing my door is not an option, not during office hours - we're supposed to keep them open.)

No comments: