Friday, August 28, 2015

Not the hill...

I'd complain about the wellness stuff, but I fear it would lead to repercussions from whoever heard the complaint, it seems the higher-ups are invested in this, perhaps because it means they get a better deal from our health insurer. I don't know. So not the hill I want my accumulated political capital to die on.

I know I take a distinctly "You can't fight city hall" attitude on these, but a few times in the past - not just here - when a small group of people tried to take on an idea someone with some power was really wedded to, the result was kind of, "Your opinion doesn't matter" so. (I am also thinking of an anti-litter initiative I was involved with at one point). I don't try to fight things or voice my opinion as much as I maybe should but so often in my life when I did it was totally ignored.

Our newest colleague, an MD who teaches the health sciences classes, thinks they're fairly ridiculous. (He laughed and said, "Don't tell anyone but I am going to a buffet this weekend.")

Another colleague says, "Give him credit for using humor" but it's the kind of humor that pushes my buttons, so I don't know. Maybe if I hadn't fired a doctor for trying to prescribe me weight loss medications when I was actually in for a flu shot, I'd feel differently.

I think my best plan is to ignore and delete the messages unread. My doctor knows I'm fairly healthy, save for one probably-hereditary issue and allergies, and being fat doesn't make your allergies worse. I just need to ignore them.

That's what being part of a modern bureaucracy is like and I understand it's even worse in some corporate settings, with weigh-ins and people very strongly coerced to do things like join weight-loss clubs. I suppose he who pays the piper calls the tune, and if the employer is paying for even part of the health insurance they have an interest in coercing people to do healthful things.

but I still admit the implication I'm not smart enough to make good decisions bugs me.

Whatever. I also realize that in six more weeks, something else will come along and this will be forgotten, just as the "assess them out the wazoo" push was, just as the "we need eight new distance sites and we need our local faculty to travel to them and teach" was forgotten, just as the "We need to start up MOOCs" was forgotten. I just need to wait it out.

Or at least wait until they start with the videos pushing for people to get more sleep. Getting more sleep is something I could get behind.


****

Part of this is that I haven't been knitting enough.

Or watching Pony re-runs, or even very many cartoons, or really anything other than the news and a few minutes of a re-run of The Waltons to try to relax before I take my blood pressure.

I need to take some time off this weekend and NOT read textbook chapters, or worry about getting my lectures updated, or spend excessive amounts of time online (and therefore, not do more active things). These past few days all I've really gotten done, outside the usual round is practice piano and read a textbook chapter and do the textbook chapter evaluation.

I did finish the textbook review and send it in this morning. (And got back an out-of-office message. Apparently all the textbook company people are on vacation right now; I got an OOO message when I sent an e-mail asking about a replacement for my stolen textbook)

I suppose it's a time that makes sense (the big pre-semester push is over, it's not time for spring adoptions yet) but it seems weird to me because I'm in the middle of it at work and people are on vacation elsewhere.

No comments: