Friday, July 03, 2015

It's raining again

So I got up, decided to go do Necessary Grocery Shopping before the stores got slammed (it is the first weekend of the month, plus a holiday weekend). It was raining slightly, and the radar showed more moving in, but I wondered, "How bad could it be" and drove out to the Mart of Wal.

It was bad. As I as finishing my last pass through the grocery part of the store, I heard a very loud rushing noise - heavy rain on the roof of the store. Looked out the sliding doors, saw it bucketing down. Considered running over to the toy section to look to see if there was any new Pony stuff (probably, there wasn't). Was heading over there and heard it seem to let up a bit, so jumped into the shortest checkout line.

By the time I was done, though, it was coming down hard again. There was a crew of people waiting in the entryway because of the hard rain. I waited a bit, but gave up because I had no idea how long I'd be stuck there and I hated to waste my day "off" standing in a big-box store entryway. So I ran out into the lot.

Bad idea. It was raining so hard I got soaked, totally soaked, despite an umbrella. And water accumulated in the bags (I dumped one out, inadvertently, on the kitchen floor while unloading the food). The skein of yarn I bought got wet so when I got home I stripped off the label so it wouldn't stain it (I found the "right" color - RHSS in "Soft Brown" for Dr. Whooves, and it's cheap enough, so I got it and will use it instead of the paler-tan I had gotten. This is a much better match....)

I had to drive very slowly home - it was raining so hard it was difficult to see and also the streets were full of water (not enough to be dangerous, but enough to create large roostertails if you drove very fast. And I think it's an illmannered thing, to drive fast through heavy water and splash the windshields of oncoming cars so they can't see for a couple seconds. That happened to me a few times....)

When I got in, I put the groceries away (and mopped the floor....it was wet). Then I had to strip down because I was literally wet to the skin. (This was WITH an umbrella, and a very short walk from my car to my door). I decided to put on my exercise clothes and knock out the workout while it was raining, and I also did part of my piano practice. I think I'll just eat an early lunch and then go over and do my research. It's raining less now....

But yeah. The slacks and t-shirt I had on are now hanging up to dry. They're not DIRTY, so I can wear them again, but they did get soaked through.

On the one hand, I'm glad it's as wet as it is because I won't have to worry about firecrackers setting my lawn on fire when people let them off (and if it rains tonight, there might be fewer people keeping me awake setting them off). But I'm ready for the rain, especially the downpours, to be done with.

(I confess, if I weren't so concerned about getting the research done before the semester ended, I'd just stay home today. But it will only take me about an hour and a half to do today's part)


Edited to add: And NOW, the sun is out. Time to whip up a quick lunch and go do work. When I get home I can sew bindings on quilts and consider starting Dr. Whooves.

No comments: