Monday, July 06, 2015

Bento Box quilt

This is one of the quilts I put the binding on to this weekend.

Bento 2

The pattern is called "Bento Box," and apparently more than one designer offers it? Or I've seen at least two versions. It's really just kind of a highly modified Log Cabin type block - each of those sections is made based on a square but unlike a regular log cabin, the "logs" are only on two sides, and then you sew four blocks together to make a bigger square.

Here's a close up showing some of the fabrics. The main ones, the kokeshi dolls, the dark blue with sashiki patterns, and the "cartouches" (I don't know what you call those oval signs with Japanese characters on them) were all part of a "fabric bundle" from JoAnn's. I don't know the company and it's probably several years old any way (most fabric makers only print a line for a few months and then move on):

Bento close up

You can also see the nice quilting design on there.

The back was a pieced back; I thought I'd have enough of the yellow fabric on the top (it's hard to see but it's printed with different postmarks from around the world, including some I assume are Japanese) but I ran short so I just pieced until I got a big enough chunk. Bonus: I had enough leftovers from the pieced back to cut a pieced binding from:

Bento backing

I also like that I was able to use one of the scraps of that poppy fabric again.

1 comment:

purlewe said...

beautiful!