Sunday, July 19, 2015

And another pony

I finished the Dr. Whooves pony today:

Dr. Whooves face.

I used a Nerdy Knitter (she has patterns both on Ravelry and on Etsy) for this; it's the Tenth Doctor version (I think she also has a Fourth Doctor that comes with the scarf).

I did have to sort of free-hand the face; I must crochet tighter than the pattern designer because mine came out a bit smaller (I guess) and the eyes given in the pattern were too large. That's not a problem though.

Dr. Whooves (10th)

I did do the flank insignia pretty much the same size (I pretty much used the given pattern):

Dr. Whooves cutie mark

I never really went for him as a "background character" until the 100th episode. As I said before, the voice actor (Peter New) did a really wonderful job with giving him a voice (and adding to the character the writers wrote). In the Ponyverse, he has almost as much of Doc Brown from "Back to the Future" as a Time Lord in him....sort of a slightly goofy scientist character. (I don't think there'd be any actually MAD scientists in the Ponyverse, just slightly goofy ones).

And of course, the interaction with Derpy was so sweet and so fun. A lot of the fans posited her as a "companion" for Dr. Whooves (even though Rose also had strong support, given her name), but they chose Derpy (Well, okay, her real name is apparently Muffins) for the episode. And she is so cute with him.

Doctor and Derpy

"Like a million bits!"

You can also see in that photo that the ponies made off the Elisabeth Doherty pattern (that's Derpy) are a good bit smaller. But somehow, it works. As a stallion, he'd be taller.

MVC-013S

He's a bit bigger than the ideal size to tuck under one's arm while reading, but still a nice cuddly size - not too large. (Chrysalis is a little bit big; as I said before she's almost as big as a medium-sized dog).

I do think I'll take a bit of a break from making Ponies, at least until after my short vacation next week. Too much crocheting stresses my hands. (I still think Treehugger is the next pony in the queue).


No comments: