Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday morning stuff

* Still oddly sore. I did the workout this morning, though, but now I know exactly WHICH muscles are sore. I don't know if I overdid it, or if working out when it's more humid just leads to me damaging muscles, or what. (I don't really agree with "no pain, no gain," having known too many people who did stuff like totally jam up their ACL or their rotator cuff or something by pushing too hard). I didn't hurt myself BADLY, it's more just fatigued or slightly pulled muscles.

* I still have a slightly scratchy throat but this feels more like allergies than incipient cold. I wonder what it could be. ("Wheel of allergens, turn, turn, turn. Let's see what is making the antibodies burn")

* Almost done with Baymax. I did the second set of fingers (which are really the most time consuming part of the arm) last night but didn't get very far on the arm. It's hard to do very much in a given day with everything else and with being tired, and so wanting to go to bed early.

* From the "this is why we can't have nice things" file: apparently some kid (seriously, he was like 16) managed to convince the New York Times that he had known the Charleston shooter and that the shooter was either a "Brony" or that he at least had Pony stuff on his webpage. And while it was pretty quickly found out and taken down, still, it makes me crazy, for two reasons:

 - Does NO ONE fact check any more? Is the chance of getting a "big scoop" worth the possibility of falsehood, libel, or looking like an idiot when it's shown the information was wrong? That means our media really are broken. What else is being said that will turn out to be untrue?

- I just....I know there are people who have a thing against Bronies because of various reasons (and I don't really consider myself one, because there are some REALLY difficult corners of the fandom, like where people just like hating on everything) but it just seems unfair, like trying to tar something with an ugly brush. (I wonder....what would be the reaction if a mass shooter were found to, I don't know, be a Star Trek fan? Or a Dr. Who fan? Is it just that Bronies are seen as weird because they are perceived as "Grown men watching a show for little girls" and therefore a convenient target? Or is it, as I noted, that some elements of the fandom have acted in ways that are odd and squicky?)

- I don't know if it would change how I felt about the show and the fandom if the claim had turned out to be true. Probably it wouldn't. (But I do have the feeling of "Stop trying to destroy something I love! Stop trying to take that one little bit of joy from my life!")

* A thought from most-recent Pony ("Princess Spike") - are the other princesses "hazing" Twi? I mean, if I were the newbie in some kind of job (as I was some 15 years ago), my coworkers wouldn't have made me organize a conference pretty much all on my own. (And yeah, I get that Twilight's secondary skill is apparently Organization*, after Magic, but....) It just seems unfair to me that she spent "three sleepless nights" working on this thing while there are three other perfectly good princesses, not to mention Fancy Pants, there.

- Is Fancy Pants like the mayor of Canterlot? Or is he just some officious dude who seems to be able to tell ponies to do stuff?

- * I once wondered what a cutie mark for being diligent would look like. Maybe skills like that are seen as too boring and have to be secondary to something else. So Twilight has to have Magic as her special talent, but her more practical talent is organizing stuff.

- I guess a lot of people disliked the episode? I thought it was fine, I actually kind of liked the idea of "what would happen if you had to delegate to someone who winds up not being that good at it?" I guess I identified more with Twilight because I've had situations where I gave someone ONE JOB and they failed to do it. But I could also see the child-viewers identifying with Spike, because "What would things be like if **I** were in charge?" And yeah, at first Spike made some pretty good decisions, but things started to go downhill. I actually like the ones where they're actually remembering that their original fanbase is kids who are still learning how to negotiate life.

- Heh. I remember seeing the first shot of the pony working on the water main and saying, "That's a Chekov's gun if I ever saw one" and I was right. (I guess I never really noticed how often that trope is used until someone brought it up.)








1 comment:

CGHill said...

"Some officious dude," I think; he's clearly a noble, and he's been described as "the most important pony in Canterlot," but I've seen no title for either Fancy Pants or his entourage.