Monday, May 18, 2015

Think I'm ready

I think I remembered to pack everything. And I have the ongoing socks (the Macaron socks, and the cabled socks I haven't worked on in a while). And the pangolin. And a few things - some socks, the Rickenbacker shawl, a hat - to maybe start. (Heh. I just realized EVERYTHING I am taking yarn for is sockweight yarn. Well, I live in a warm climate and thinner things work better. And I LIKE sockweight yarn).

I did take a pattern for a stuffed-toy gargoyle (A cute, funny one, not a scary one) that calls for worsted weight but if I decide to do that I can get yarn for it up there.

And I have my clothes, and the medication I need, and make-up and stuff like a toothbrush. And the birthday card I got for my mom - I ordered her gifts for her and had them sent up there but got a card down here. I need to run in to my office and leave some material for someone I am going to be collaborating with on research this summer, and I have to run to the bank....

I've been obsessively checking the Amtrak website. So far, all they say is that my train is scheduled to be "on time" but the train tracker doesn't show anything, just the train at a dead stop in San Antonio - then again, it doesn't, when there's some kind of disruption, and it's my understanding that they've been busing people from San Antonio to Fort Worth and putting them on the train there.

I'm really hoping my 5:15 train is a train and not a bus. Or that they AT LEAST would call or e-mail to warn me - I'd reshuffle some of my packing (no need to have pajamas in my carry on, sadly, and I'd also transfer my carry on stuff to a backpack to make it easier to carry). And I'd want to be able to demand a refund for the sleeper.

I'm going to call a little later to find out what's up though I strongly suspect my suspicion - that they are "turning" the train at Fort Worth and I will get on a train this evening - is correct. (And if things go as they should, that means it's more likely to be on time getting me)

Gah, I hate all the logistics of travel. I love being ON the train, I like being on vacation, but all of the arrangements and worry about logistics takes some of the fun away. (Maybe it's easier when you don't travel alone, I don't know. Well, if you were a parent traveling with kids it would probably be worse, because you'd have your own logistics plus the kids' to worry about. But traveling with another adult, a spouse or a friend, that might make it easier.)

I do have a couple of "time embargoed" posts for while I'm gone; it'll be about 10 days and then I'll be back.


No comments: