Monday, May 18, 2015

On the road

Called Amtrak, asked to speak to an agent (to be sure). She verified for me that yes, the "bustitution" (Amtrak fans have their own lingo) is ONLY from San Antonio to Fort Worth - so I will be getting on a TRAIN. (I expected that - they hadn't called me - but it's good to know for sure).

I have a roomette, which means I have privacy and quiet and the ability to sleep flat.

So yeah. Everything's packed, money (for tips and possibly shopping) has been obtained, plants have been put on automatic waterers, material has been left where my collaborator can pick it up. I have a couple books in my carry on (Moby-Dick, a biography of Marshall Nirenberg (he figured out the amino acid code), and a short introduction to plate tectonics) Both of the scholarly books are ones that could potentially help me in my teaching....besides looking interesting to me. (I'm a big geek, I like science-of-history books and books about geography and some geologic phenomena). 

and I have my knitting, though I don't generally knit on the train (light is too poor and sometimes it's too bouncy). (And I have my Fluttershy amigurumi.....)

Really relieved to learn I won't be bused, though. This time tomorrow I should be nearly there if not there yet. (Depending on delays)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Enjoy the trip! I have only traveled by train once and not in a sleeper car. It's something I'd like to try some day.